Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedInsurance renewal quote.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2005 at 18:35

I'm with AON - they managed to get mine through good old hibernian, €1700 including class 2 business use and open drive too.

The next closest was €3,400 - ironically that was also through Hibernian but a different broker. Another company told me they'd do me a favour and offer insurance (apparently a 27 year old shouldn't be driving a 2.5l car) but it'd cost €4,500.

I think it's all down to shopping around and keep beating them down.

Sponsored Links

Kin Mak View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2005 at 19:15
What are they talking about? I am 26 and I drive a 5l M5, it is insane that they think just because it is a high litre car it would cause more crashes. I guess it is an easy way to look at it but still.

Had to start out with a small car... but in 2 and a bit years it certainly has jumped. Yes, I only started to learn how to drive on my 23rd birthday. Here is my little story...

September 2002 - Got my provisional and bought my rover 200, geat car to learn how to drive in. 1.1l

January 2003 - Got my full licence yay! Went out and bought a new Hyundai Coupe 1.6l

Febuary 2004 - Diving past Des Cullen during Christmas was a bad idea, a Lotus Elise was in the window. Went down the first day they reopened and took a test drive. That was it, month later I picked it up. 1.8l

July 2004 - Summer nearly over, was driving to U.K for the British F1 GP(did not think 2000miles on the motorway would be nice in a Lotus), always wanted a BMW 840ci. Did a swap with the Elise. 4.4l

December 2004 - Did not like the 840ci, had a few problems so I swapped it for a Jaguar XK8. 4.0l

March 2005 - Jaguar was too slow, still remebered what the Lotus was like. Needed something faster. Test drove a BMW M3 SMGII, was so close to buying it until the BMW dealer offered me €15k for my Jag. I laughed at him and went to another dealer to buy the M5 I was thinking of getting as well. They also lost a sale to my bro because they never called him back, not the way to do business. 5.0l

It is a bit is a disease I have, I wish I could stop changing cars. I think I will keep the M5 for a while, it does does tick many boxes...

Saw a M3 CSL today tho.... mmm.
Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2005 at 19:29

Nice story dude

So when you getting the CSL

Kin Mak View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2005 at 19:36
When I find a buyer for my kidney. Anyone looking for one? I am a non drinker... 
Red3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2005 at 04:21

Quote it is insane that they think just because it is a high litre car it would cause more crashes

Bike insurers have being using that excuse for years to rip us off, "Whats that sir its a 1000cc, oh i'll have to speak with my supervisor"..

Edited by Red3
1995 316i, 2002 520i
Dee* View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2005 at 16:17
Originally posted by Fey! Fey! wrote:

I asked this on another post, and I'm asking it again here.  Does anyone know how many members bmwcc has in Ireland?  As both llatsni and I have said here, maybe it's time to approach an insurance company about doing members a club rate, but to approach anyone requires that we have facts and figures to present to them.

Having looked at the online survey Dee* put together, this may be easier than it looks, but it would need answers from ALL members and would be asking ALL questions required when you renew your insurance.

Anyone interested on doing this?  I'd do it, but will need assistance.

As I said earlier Fey, I'm more than happy to draw something up if we need to get all the info together!
Doesn't take that long, once everyone knows their own stats etc to fill it out - definitely a quick and easy way to compile information in a clear format, the stats package does most of the analysis work too.
Would be interesting to see the differences between companies and
quotes!
Getting the 'non-regulars' to log on and fill it out might be a bit more of a challenge though - the article in the mag is a good idea!

Edited by Dee*
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 08:55

Haven't been forgetting about this; have been trying to get the basics down on paper.

BTW; I'm 29, drive the 520 and my insurance with FBD is€820 with no excess and 2 windscreens!

US M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 18:09

I filled out that form aswell, and hope to get some good news

I will hopefully be picking up my Diamond Black 1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL) next week. I have been driving on compnay insurance policies since I was 17, so all the insurance companies just say NO. I have had a classic policy with Carole Nash for a few years but it aint worth a ****e. I'm 29 and had my licence more than 10 years. I got onto First Ireland and got a quote for €1591 fully comp with an excess of €4000(although it said on the proposal form the car was not LHD) I still have to get back to them about the LHD thing.

Then I got my MD to get onto our insurance company in work which is FBD and I got a quote for €3077 fully comp open drive with NCB protection of 20% or €2299 TPFT.

Originally posted by Mac Mac wrote:

Hi Robbie,

I've been insured through a broker in Dublin for the past 2 years, nobody can come near them for the last few years when i've had to renew, i found out about them on this site and it's worked out well for me, they can be reached at www.jlt.ie give it a shot, you never know your luck.

Hope you dont have to part with the car..

Mac

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 19:14

I filled out the online form for a quote from www.jlt.ie and got a reply yesterday informing me they can't quote my E36 M3

€3077 for a 29yo with a licence for ten years is taking the piss, insrance companies.....what a helpful bunch of money grabbing ****ards, you'd think you were trying to insure a ballistic missile or something, what a joke.

Edited......ah you know the rest.

Edited by Robbie Bradford
US M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 19:29

I just hope the First Ireland direct crowd know its a LHD, I will ring tomorrow, although the €4000 excess is a piss take

1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL)

2008 BMW 520D M SPORT
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 19:36

I'd say that quote is from XSdirect as thats the excess they charge for a policy with them, Ref: earlier posts on this thread.

I'm currently insured with St.pauls through broker Top Quote.

It was Top Quote who sent a proposal for renewal from XSdirect.

I now have the choice of paying St.Pauls €2097 for renewal, alternatively i can take out a policy with XSdirect €1000 odd with €4000 excess.

US M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 19:55

My quote is through Wrightways underwriters in the UK, thats the quote through First Ireland (aka Rooney Gallagher).

1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL)

2008 BMW 520D M SPORT
T.J. View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2005 at 03:33

hmmm... my 328i seems the way to go for the next year or two..

29 yrs old

5 yrs no claims (cos I've bounced around companies as I've changed cars to get the best deal)

Myself & fiance fully comp with business cover & full NCB protection

€860 with Quinn Direct.

Not a bad price I reckon..

@ Robbie, normally I'd advise selling if it's squeezing the finances. There are plenty across the pond, tis only a car, and what you're at with the UUC stuff is building a foundation to enable you to get a new E90 M3 in a few years time. This requires sacrifices! I had to sell my shiny Xsara VTS to buy my first gaff, and bought an E34 518i for €600, threw a grand getting it into shape and it started the BMW thing for me. A biker mate is still scooting around in it 60k later!

But as the lads said, E36 M3s ain't fetching good money at all at the moment. So balance cashflow needs with the money lost by selling. It may be that you're better laying it up for a year if you have somewhere to store it and getting something cheap & cheerful. A lad @ work is selling his clean 95 1.8 Galant with 140k for less than a grand.. Or another lad bought an import 87 starlet for €250 that's been doing the job for a year while he gets a house! He calls it the 'white shadow' - I call it the Dignity Stripper

Hope it all works out for the best...

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
US M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2005 at 19:27

Originally posted by US M3 US M3 wrote:

I just hope the First Ireland direct crowd know its a LHD, I will ring tomorrow, although the €4000 excess is a piss take

I rang First Ireland and told them about the LHD element and they said that company wont do it if its a LHD 

Although I got another quote from First Ireland and who was it, but XS Direct and it was €1636 and thats on a LHD, but it has a €4000 excess on it.

So do I pay €3077 with FBD and get a 20% NCB disount and have no excess or do I risk it with XS Direct and have to pay the 1st €4k myself it anything ever happened.

Edited by US M3
1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL)

2008 BMW 520D M SPORT
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2005 at 19:34

FBD will surely come down a bit on price if you put excess of €400-500 on the policy i'd imagine.

US M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2005 at 19:36
Originally posted by Robbie Bradford Robbie Bradford wrote:

FBD will surely come down a bit on price if you put excess of €400-500 on the policy i'd imagine.

I will try it tomorrow, its the insurance company we use in work, I must see what they can do. FBD you reckon so Robbie?

Edited by US M3
1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL)

2008 BMW 520D M SPORT
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2005 at 19:50

Well dude, i'm not 100% about any of dem insurance crowds but better safe than sorry......€4000 is alot to fork out to XSdirect if the unthinkable happens.

Having said that i could go with XSdirect myself yet.....all depends what mood i'm in on the day

Give FBD a call and ask for ways to make the quote cheaper, like limited mileage, garaged on private property, put a woman on as a named driver as this will reduce the quote for some unknown reason.....oh, i mean they're better drivers or something

US M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2005 at 20:02

put a woman on as a named driver as this will reduce the quote for some unknown reason.....oh, i mean they're better drivers or something

Funny you say that Robbie, my girfriend was insuring the jeep last year, she was 26 at the time and they where looking for €850 fully comp for her, but if she put me on as named driver it would only cost her €700 fully comp for the two of us, is that bull**** or what, the same company wanted €3000 to insure a Corrado G60 the same week from me

1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL)

2008 BMW 520D M SPORT
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2005 at 20:07
I'll never understand how two drivers named on a policy can make insurance cover cheaper!!!
US M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2005 at 20:21

I'll never understand how two drivers named on a policy can make insurance cover cheaper!!!

I'll never understand how it was cheaper to put me on the policy, when all insurance companies want to rip me off by myself.

1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL)

2008 BMW 520D M SPORT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic