Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBreaking...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2011 at 16:56
I Agee your car is under valued. Im not blowing sunshine up your asre
but yours is in better condition than my brothers and probably the best
in the country at the moment. My brother sold his for £9000. His was a
LHD mind so had a larger Market.

There is a bias in this country to mileage over condition. When I was
trying to sell mine any British callers were a bit worried with regards to
the mileage. However the couple of European callers were more
interested in the condition and restoration.

I think the uncertainty in the jobs Market is a factor at the moment.

It will we'll mate but as seen it will take time. Just wait it out

Edited by gary
Sponsored Links

ianking View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ianking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2011 at 12:57

Paul and I have just finished breaking up an E46 318 and we made a good return on it but it was a bit of a hassle having neds round my house collecting stuff and dealing with lots of idiots from down south trying to bid for parts. Also a hassle parceling things up and posting them away but for us it was the only way to recoup the monies from the car.

Now we have to get rid of a shell.

It would be a real shame to break up your car.

2011 Mini Cooper S with Sport Pack
and ma Faithers 2010 Z4
johne46 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2011 at 18:53
Dunk just give it more time my e46 had 130,000 on the clock
and i was asking for £3,500 i got £3000 in the end but it
was 4months all in. i tell you it will go its a lovely car
just stay with it and i will be sorry to see it go...all
the best with the sale ....

M3 Evo 4 door
Chas C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Nothing new under the sun

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chas C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2011 at 19:26
I suspect if I put the B8 on the market just now it would be lucky to reach £8k here.  Sad but true.  It has only 70k miles on the clock and was the Frankfurt show car.  Perhaps across the Channel the B8 could fetch over €15k but with a RHD GT you don't really have that option.

No offence Dunk but you know the Alpina is the ultimate E36 so where does that leave everything else?  I reckon the market hasn't even bottomed out yet but that's a reflection of the economy rather than the cars.

If it's a 'must sell' situation then that's a pity.  My inclination would be to store it till things improve.  Breaking it would be criminal.
Robert328 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2011 at 22:34
Seen you on the M8 the other day in this and it looked cracking.

I will join the "if I had the cash crew" - which is absolutely no help to you at all - sorry.

If you think you could easily get 6k for it breaking it then it would be worth selling it for 6k just to save the hassle. I'd stick it on eBay for at 6k starting price and no reserve if you really need to sell it. Otherwise I'd just hold out. You'd need to make a good bit more than the least you'd let it go for to make it worth breaking it as it would be a major headache and you can't exactly change your mind half way through!

I wouldn't say it's the best in the Country as I know of another in Scotland that changed hands for nearer 20k so possibly the second best
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2011 at 09:08
Originally posted by Robert328 Robert328 wrote:

Seen you on the M8 the other day in this and it looked cracking.

Cheers Got a couple of good cleans in recently.

If you think you could easily get 6k for it breaking it then it would be worth selling it for 6k just to save the hassle. I'd stick it on eBay for at 6k starting price and no reserve if you really need to sell it.

Yup, it's really a question of what the hassle will 'cost'. Looking at pretty pessimistic sums, I reckon £6k is the minimum so more is doable; the question is how much the hassle, Paypal & eBay fees and P&P eats into that. Not to mention the madness of breaking a car of this standard.

I wouldn't say it's the best in the Country as I know of another in Scotland that changed hands for nearer 20k so possibly the second best

To the best of my knowledge and the wider BMW / GT community mine was the only one in Scotland (with the possible exception of a sighting some time ago in Aberdeenshire which never recurred). The only time I've heard £20k mentioned in the context of GTs was in the refurb bill spent on a mag featured car a good few years ago. Any further info you're able to give me for the Register would be very interesting.
m3Cecotto View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3Cecotto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2011 at 10:31

Selling unusual cars in Scotland is a real PITA. 

There are very few local buyers and even fewer people prepared to travel 400 miles (passing a couple of others for sale on the way) to view.

I don't know where you have it advertised, but I often find that the old fashioned printed classic car magazines work best - a paid for ad in Classic & Sportscar or Classic Car is often the best.  May be a little new for them, but worth a try.

I'll break anything if it's more financially viable - but that really would be a crying shame.

1981 E23 735i
1989 E30 325i Motorsport Cabrio
1989 E24 635CSi Motorsport Edition

Bavarian Retro Cars
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2011 at 10:46
Originally posted by m3Cecotto m3Cecotto wrote:

...even fewer people prepared to travel 400 miles (passing a couple of others for sale on the way) to view.

Ironic given I travelled to Watford to buy this one passing another in Leamington on the way. A valid point nonetheless I fear although it is the only one on the UK market at the mo.

Originally posted by m3Cecotto m3Cecotto wrote:

I don't know where you have it advertised, but I often find that the old fashioned printed classic car magazines work best - a paid for ad in Classic & Sportscar or Classic Car is often the best.  May be a little new for them, but worth a try.

Pistonheads - quiet interest until pimped by Fluffy then a flurry of views
Various forums - whole range of interest
Autotrader - totally hopeless, just generated spam
Car & Classic - quiet interest (I agree it may yet be a little new for this audience)
GT Register - thousands of advert views

My feeling is that the message that it's for sale is out there but that either the economic climate or mileage issues already referred to are at the heart of the problem although it would be interesting to understand the location one you've just raised...
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2011 at 12:34
Now this is a bit of a curved ball and I'm prepared to get slagged for this but what about "we buy any car dot com"?  .
Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2011 at 13:02
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Now this is a bit of a curved ball and I'm prepared to get slagged for this but what about "we buy any car dot com"?  .

Laughable I'm afraid - £1900. I could sell bits off the car and be left with a perfectly functional M3 for that...

CAP has it at £2445 as it's valued as a 3.0l M3
gary View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Just Call me Wendy ;-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2011 at 19:40
What about ebay as mentioned above?

Worth a try.

I have to agree with m3cecotto. Up here we are willing to travel.

I bought my M3 and my first 5 series in England and went to Kelso to buy wee Garry's 3 series, but those south of the border just don't seem willing to travel north, even though you offer to pick them up from either the train station or airport. I know there are loads more cars for sale in England, but as Dunc says these are rare cars.

When I was trying to sell the M3 one guy told me I was too far away as he was in London. when I told him he could get a Flight to Glasgow from sleazyjet and I woild pick him up he asked if I could meet him on the M6 near Birmingham(WTF)
m3Cecotto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3Cecotto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2011 at 20:33

I'd consider placing it on  commission sale basis with Old Colonel or Four Star Classics (they are very, very expensive though - transport fees, detailing fees, advert fees then 20% IIRC - but they DO sell some stuff at spectacular prices).

Or I have a good contact at Anglia Car Auctions and can get you a good deal in their classic car auction if it's of interest?  A magazine article often helps with an unusual car too - can you get it in Total BMW or something?

Or alternatively I have long term storage available at very reasonable rates.  Sod 'em.

Edited by m3Cecotto
1981 E23 735i
1989 E30 325i Motorsport Cabrio
1989 E24 635CSi Motorsport Edition

Bavarian Retro Cars
Robert328 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2011 at 23:25
Originally posted by Webdunk Webdunk wrote:

To the best of my knowledge and the wider BMW / GT community mine was the only one in Scotland (with the possible exception of a sighting some time ago in Aberdeenshire which never recurred). The only time I've heard £20k mentioned in the context of GTs was in the refurb bill spent on a mag featured car a good few years ago. Any further info you're able to give me for the Register would be very interesting.

I hate to sound like someone who says "I know a secret but I'm not telling you" - however it's not really my place to give more details as I'm sure if the owner wanted the car known he would be on the register / forum. It has been in Scotland for the at least a couple of years and still is unless the onwner has sold it on with the past few months.

As you probably know there are loads of cars out there in Scotland and everywhere in the world really that don't see the light of day much and have owners are very private about them / don't like the fact they have them being common knowlegdge. A few of which belong to my customers and I get to detail them 

Robert328 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert328 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2011 at 23:43
Originally posted by gary gary wrote:

What about ebay as mentioned above?

Worth a try.

Nothing to loose really. Since eBay started I have sold every car (roughly 10) either on there or on pistonheads. Most have been on both sites. I've only let one auction run to the end on one as I was very unsure of the value of the car and got a good bit more than I expect so it ended up being worth the gamble.

Every other car I sold on eBay has been sold before the auction ended. I just sold my van on there and started at £1 no reserve. I then put in the text I have this advertised else where and am looking for £6k or nearest offer - which eBays system blocked as it must have picked up on the fact I was tryng to say I'm open to offers to end early so I just put or near 0ffer (the number zero ). Got an offer for £5k within an hour and sold for £5.5k within a couple of days (paid 5.7k for it 16 months prior via an eBay advert (but bought "off eBay). I was hoping to get at least £5k for it so was happy.

People slag eBay and say it rubbish / full of junk I personally think it's the best site on the net. Just a point to note, you can't end the auction in the last 24 hours so I just put on a 10 day auction (the longest) and if I didn't get an offer / sell it within the first 9 days I'd have taken it off and started again (never had to do this though).

I wouldn't put it as an advert with offers because someone could send you an offer which you accept then pull out. Then all of other people that were watching it would be able to see the offer you accepted. An auction is the  best - either stating at £1 with or without a reserve or just start it at the very minimum price you'd take no reserve. Even if you start at £1 with say a £8k reserve I'd never let it run to the end as if it only gets bid up to 4 or 5k and ends without meeting the reserve it basically says that's what the cars worth which is obviously not always the case.

Sorry for blabbing on but as mentioned I've sold and bought loads of cars on eBay and have always got at least the money I wanted for them. I am roughly breaking even sale price vs purchase price on them too.

Edited by Robert328
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 09:20

it's not really my place to give more details as I'm sure if the owner wanted the car known he would be on the register / forum.

I did wonder if that would be the case. If you're talking to the owner, please do mention the Register and we can leave it up to them.
Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2011 at 09:21
Thanks for the info Boyd. I may be in touch.
muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2011 at 20:13
Now sold i believe
I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

davy tombstone View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davy tombstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2011 at 20:30
its up for sale here.
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2777246.htm
sailorbaz View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
(Former) Scottish Region Wean

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailorbaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2011 at 20:46
At THIS price??? I'm a bit lost, Duncan?

My Car

2004 M3 CSL and 2009 E90 M3
davy tombstone View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davy tombstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2011 at 20:51
Originally posted by sailorbaz sailorbaz wrote:

At THIS price??? I'm a bit lost, Duncan?

no Baz, some scammer is using Dunc,s pics.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic