Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat would you pay for a Sport Evo ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 16:47
Originally posted by John W John W wrote:

Originally posted by Andyboy Andyboy wrote:

Today's top tip; Don't start arsing around modifying a Sport Evo. Would you really buy a car that's been caned at track days? I wouldn't. BMW only made 600, and they aren't making any more. However, there are 17'000 2.3 litre cars. Go figure................!

I would buy a car that's done track days. Some of the very best E30 M3's in the country have been tracked and they still are. Have you been to a BMWCCGB track day?? Half the cars there are E30 M3's.......and you wouldn't buy one of them? Come on.
You are making a sweeping generalisation.
High miles and track use should not put off someone who is looking for an E30 M3. Finding a well looked after one is the key. This is way more important.

And another thing.....
Modifying cars isn't the end of the world. It's only a car. In my Sport Evo's case, a car worth 13-ish grand. I'm sorry, but that isn't exactly millionaire money is it? It would get you a nice Vectra or Mondeo I suppose.
I have MoTec, cams and a Milltek exhaust on my Sport Evo. It now has 252 BHP. It makes the car a huge amout more enjoyable. Just ask Nick Wright (knows a lot about these cars, driven lots of them). He drove mine at Croft and he said it was easily the fastest and best E30 he'd ever driven...."a real barn-stormer" he said.
I've kept all the original bits, and every modification the car has had is easily reversible. God knows why anyone would get rid of the MoTec though. I have got rid of the crappy standard airflow meter, and my engine is now a gem, thanks very much.
I hope you don't advocate putting our Sport Evo's into dry storage or museums.
Finally...cars that have been tracked are usually owned by true enthusiasts and they are serviced and cared for more carefully as a precaution. Mine gets serviced very regularly.
Anyway Andy, didn't you sell your Sport Evo because you didn't like it?
Sponsored Links

John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 16:49
Gary,
I paid 12 grand for mine over a year ago now. 100K miles. A few subtle mods.
I've since invested 5 grand on the engine though....
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 17:12
Sold because I couldn't really live with LHD. It was a nice car, but didn't feel it was worth twice as much as a good 2.3 to be honest. At least when I'm an old fart I can look back and say "I had one of those"........
Track days......hmmm, a tricky one. A mate of a mate in Germany has an E36 3.2 Evo Coupe with Konis and sh*t the bed, is that a fast car. I mean really fast.
I've driven a couple of modded M3's and conclude that a good original is still the best. Nice ride comfort, superb handling and great performance. In fact, it's surprising just how good the cars are just as BMW made them. Mine was £10'750 by the way.
Lastly....do you really need a Sport Evo for track days? Apart from the old Alpina C1 I have, the best fun I've had was in an E28 518i (that cost twenty quid) around Combe and that teaches you all about conserving power and car control on the (low) limit. Anybody can drive an M3 reasonably fast because it's so forgiving. But holding an old E28 on 175 section rubber in a drift around Quarry has to be funniest thing I've ever done on track.
John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 17:25
Andyboy,
Obviously a Sport Evo might be a bit OTT for track days. However, my car is usually one of the cheaper cars at these events. Respect due to the folks in Porsche 993 RS's / Turbos etc. Even blokes in new Subarus are piloting 26 grand's worth of gear.
The modifications to my car make it more enjoyable. I accept that the suspension is comprimised for road use, but the standard suspension is comprimised for track use. I have owned a standard 2.3 car as well.
And I say again, my modified engine is way better than a standard one.
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 17:31
John

Please dont take this the wrong way and I dont mean to dis you or anything but after mods (5k's worth as you put it) you have only got an extra 15bhp out of it. (237bhp standard - now you have 252bhp)

I dont think thats a great return. For that I would be looking for around 265-270bhp!
David 87M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 17:33
Bloody hell Its a sport evo,
Plaque on dash and an extra 30BHP if your lucky (Oh and an extra bit on the spoiler at the back).
Not worth the extra £5-8k owners seem to expect for them

Kinda summs it up.
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 17:34
Where do we then put values on the later vehicles that were last off the production line with low mileage, say 50k and under?
Obviously built after the sport evo my version was one of the last 100 made with all the extras, except edc and rear headrests and 49k miles to date. Full dealer history until i got it last year and has done on average 4k mile per year from new. Don't use it all the time but just to know i own one of the ultimate BMW's and track cars of all time.
There was a late spec in germany on modile.de within last 250 made, 40k kms wanting £18k.

Therefore low mileage standard car or high mileage sport evo? I think it's all down to personel choice.
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 17:44
If the Sport evo is worth so much how come the other limited versions arnt fetching as much?

215m3 your correct its personal taste

John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 17:55
Originally posted by Eamo Eamo wrote:

John

Please dont take this the wrong way and I dont mean to dis you or anything but after mods (5k's worth as you put it) you have only got an extra 15bhp out of it. (237bhp standard - now you have 252bhp)

I dont think thats a great return. For that I would be looking for around 265-270bhp!

Mate.....you'll never put a standard Sport Evo on the rolling road and get 238 BHP (the standard power output as claimed by BMW). Mine had 225 BHP before mods, and that is a typical figure.
The cams, MoTec and exhaust made a further 27 BHP (making 252 BHP) and they put the torque up to 200 lb/ft at 4900 RPM. Throttle response in a different league too. This exercise cost 2.5-3 grand. It definitely feels worth it. It feels like a good return. I think it's because the E30 M3 is quite light (1200 kg-ish) and so modest power gains are very noticable. You'd need to try it probably.
The other money wasn't spent on mods. I've just finished a rebuild (see earlier threads) and this cost 2 grand (new block, pistons etc, used existing top end). So not all the 5 grand was spent on chasing horsepower.
Nick Wright was sceptical about paying 3 grand for my mods. But having driven it, he kind of warmed to the idea.
John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 18:01
Originally posted by David 87M3 David 87M3 wrote:

If the Sport evo is worth so much how come the other limited versions arnt fetching as much?

Because they aren't as good.
The ultimate evolutions of cars will always command more money than you could rationally explain.
A good example of this is the 911 RS from 1973. It isn't that much better or faster than some of the models from around that time. However, it commands far, far higher prices. Ditto the 993 RS, Sierra Cosworth RS 500. The same will happen with the latest 996 GT3 RS. It's not possible to rationalise prices in these circumstances.
John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 18:03

Plaque on dash and an extra 30BHP if your lucky (Oh and an extra bit on the spoiler at the back).

Kinda summs it up.

Come on David. The differences are more extensive than that!! The list is very long.
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 18:36
Apols John - I got misread the post.

But when all is said and done - I'd give my left tes***le
for one!!
John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 18:54
Eamo - Nay worries.
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 19:02
But now for the honest truth! I bought a SpEvo just for the sake of it - because it is the ultimate E30 M3. By a slender margin pehaps, but a margin nonetheless. At under £11k, mine wasn't a whole load more than a Ceccotto in similar condition. But £15-16'000? Hmmmm.........

You've got to want the kudos in the Car Club real bad to pay that!! But respect to those that do, because they are more focused on what the E30 M3 stood for than most of us. Mind you, I drove an E46 M3 last week and I want one very badly.
PJSM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 19:52

We now seem to be approaching consensus. Objectively Sport Evo's are worth more because people are prepared to pay more (for whatever reason).

As I driving experience I personally don't think the difference between bog standard M3 and Sport Evo is that significant and in no way directly proportional to the difference in prices.

John W. your comments that in reality Sport Evo's don't put out claimed power is interesting. I can't say I've rolling roaded them but having driven an Evo 2 and Sport back to back I couldn't feel any great extra power in the Sport. As for your modified car, now that does sound like an awesome bit of kit.

M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2003 at 21:49
As for claimed power outputs you only have to look at the dyno shootout we did. Not one standard car made stock figures. But chassis dyno's aren't the most accurate of tools so unless your pull the lump out and stick it on an engine dyno your not going to know. So we have to go by the RR figures that we have.

I don't think are many M3 out there that don't see the redline when being driven, and if not then you should sell it and buy another car. Seems pointless having such a focused car and not taking advantage of it
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2003 at 09:36

Kinda summs it up.

Come on David. The differences are more extensive than that!! The list is very long.

Yes the list may be longer but I am saying its not worth the extra. All down to choice, Yes your car in nice, Fast ect. What I am saying is there are other limited versions of the M3 but they are not fetching much more than a standard M3 that are just as good in my opinion, But the Sport evo is not worth the higher price tag.
As someone else said its because silly mags print articles about them so everyone said "I want one" Hype
Andyboy View Drop Down
Banned User
Banned User

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2003 at 10:49
Best M3 I ever drove was a Misano red, E reg Evo 11 with 145'000 miles (original chain). Bog standard and as loose as a you-know-what, it just went like hell. I say standard, it had a Sparco strut brace and Bilsteins but std springs. I just felt alive, more so than others. Best bit? Guy paid £4800............
John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2003 at 12:03

Kinda summs it up.

Yes the list may be longer but I am saying its not worth the extra. All down to choice, Yes your car in nice, Fast ect. What I am saying is there are other limited versions of the M3 but they are not fetching much more than a standard M3 that are just as good in my opinion, But the Sport evo is not worth the higher price tag.
As someone else said its because silly mags print articles about them so everyone said "I want one" Hype

It's not just because of the magazines.
See my post above about the 1973 911 RS. And let's face it, a Sport Evo IS slightly more desirable than say a Cecotto or Evo 2. It has to be, surely??? I say SLIGHTLY mind you, for f*cks sake, no one bite my head off.
The Sport Evo cost 35 grand when it was new I believe. The present asking prices seem like a bargain compared to that.
Chris Miller View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2003 at 12:20
Hi

I believe that the car is worth what someone will pay for it. If it is someones dream to own a sport evo and they are prepared to pay the money then good luck to them. If they have 16k to spend and find a car for then go for it.

In the long term I feel that they will probably appreciate in value further as will all M3's. This months classic car magazine lists the E30 M3 as the 25 most desirable classic car ever produced as voted for by the readers.

Buy a decent one whilst you can. Many cars seems to be being stripped turned into out and out track cars or race cars. Many are being broken for parts and we all know there are some sheds out there.

Use your car dont wrap it in cotton wool but look after it and I think we will all do rather nicely in the long term.

Chris.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic