Forum LockedMore Scameras

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 06:50
Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

The action is legal & accountable, you may argue that it's neither proportional or necessary, where as I believe personally that it is. The final judge of that would be a court should you challenge that stance.

I think I might just have to either do that or support it. So, just to get this right, as long as there's not a law against it, I can do anything I want?
Ciao,
Spokey

Sponsored Links

brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 07:12

Originally posted by brybusa brybusa wrote:

Not good...looks like the plate on my bike may "fall off" thru vibration (officer)from time to time....

And then you commit other offences, everytime that happens.

If stopped...which is unlikely...and currently those "other offences" are not endorsable..currently a vehicle rectification notice.

However, they are now looking at making non standard plates an endorsable offence, this new technology requires standard plates to be able to read them..So there going to change the law and focus on non standard plates very soon.

Watch out for the first thread on someone getting 3 points for a illegally spaced/honeycomb effect/carbon "look" numberplate in the near future!

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 07:33
As always it's your choice to obey the law or not, but you don't get a choice over the consequences of breaking society's rules.

Where people attempt to frustrate society's will, they must expect that society will attempt to do something about that.

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
johnnyc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 08:26

big brother is watching you

318ise 2003 0n a 52

Doive View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 09:42

Where people attempt to frustrate society's will, they must expect that society will attempt to do something about that.

The term 'society's will' denotes some sort of course of action taken and decided on by the general public...... we have neither say nor authority over anything this government decides.... it's like every four years they come, somehow get back into power, then disappear off for another four years to make idiotic and irrational decisions for the sake of nobody except themselves. Every news broadcast recently has a story about some new legislation - ID cards, merging police forces, whatever - huge public outcry, commons backlash, government responds by saying 'we will push this legislation through regardless of what anyone says'. And that's a quote from the home secretary.

What about the data protection act? When I enter my details on a website, they ask if I would mind terribly them sharing my information with 'carefully selected' third parties. Do we have this option as well with the road scheme? Is there a box I can tick at the start of my journey?
1987 BMW 525e Lux Auto (sadly deceased)
Get Firefox - Ditch Hopeless Inertnet Exploder
www.doive.co.uk
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 09:55
Originally posted by Doive Doive wrote:

The term 'society's will' denotes some sort of course of action taken and decided on by the general public...... we have neither say nor authority over anything this government decides.... it's like every four years they come, somehow get back into power, then disappear off for another four years to make idiotic and irrational decisions for the sake of nobody except themselves. Every news broadcast recently has a story about some new legislation - ID cards, merging police forces, whatever - huge public outcry, commons backlash, government responds by saying 'we will push this legislation through regardless of what anyone says'. And that's a quote from the home secretary.

We live in a democracy. We as a collective (even if we as individuals did not) voted our government into power.  In doing that we give them a mandate to govern for us. If we don't like the way they do it, we can vote them out next time. This government wasn't voted out last time was it ?

Originally posted by Doive Doive wrote:

What about the data protection act? When I enter my details on a website, they ask if I would mind terribly them sharing my information with 'carefully selected' third parties. Do we have this option as well with the road scheme? Is there a box I can tick at the start of my journey?

The data protection act doesn't stop them holding this information. It controls what they can do with it, as in who they can divulge it to & your rights of access to the information held about you.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 10:09

Or, failing which, you can count on the police to use threats and fear to subjugate you.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 10:48
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

Or, failing which, you can count on the police to use threats and fear to subjugate you.

There is always the possibility that prosecution will follow where you break society's rules.
The Police can only Police by consent in a democracy.
Part of their job is to uphold the rule of law & us such impose society's will. We the public get what we want in essence.

We the public won't always agree over issues. The government has to make judgements & act in our collective interests (we gave them that mandate). This naturally may upset the minority who feel very strongly on that particular issue, but hey that's democracy. Where they judge the numbers wrong on too many issues, or don't perform in key areas, they may lose support. Like I've said before this government has been around for some time. I've also said that I don't honestly believe that on the issue of cameras the Tory's are going to be drastically different, they may water things a little to just get power. I don't however think that enough people view it as such a negative step in their lives that they would take drastic action about it, or come to it even cast their vote based on that issue alone. It is lost in what individuals view as far more weighty matters to  them.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:06

There is always the possibility that prosecution will follow where you break society's rules.
The Police can only Police by consent in a democracy.
Part of their job is to uphold the rule of law & us such impose society's will. We the public get what we want in essence.

I can't see that anyone voted for this. Or this. Or this. Or just look here or here. Loads of things for which I can't see any sane person voting.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:17
But we (collectively) have given a mandate to the current government *3 times* to run the country in our best interests. We of course don't get to vote on each individual issue/topic, but we have our MPs to represent us on that score (who we voted for to do just that.)

"Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap"
Galatians vi
Mine & mine alone.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:22

I can't see that anyone voted for this. Or this. Or this. Or just look here or here. Loads of things for which I can't see any sane person voting.

Not all the most reliable sources, especially the ones from the Telepraph, but some interesting stuff

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:23

But we (collectively) have given a mandate to the current government *3 times* to run the country in our best interests. We of course don't get to vote on each individual issue/topic, but we have our MPs to represent us on that score (who we voted for to do just that.)

"Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap"
Galatians vi

I voted Tory each time. My man won each time. I communicate with him regularly, and he agrees with me. Unfortunately, we have a government by virtual president since 1997, and there is nothing that one MP or even an opposition can do under those circumstances.

Still, I'm hardly suprised you support and applaud all this fascist malarkey, since it gives the police more well-deserved power.
Ciao,
Spokey

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:24
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

Not all the most reliable sources, especially the ones from the Telepraph, but some interesting stuff

I can't quote from the Grauniad, because the lefties CHARGE for access to their rag.

At least it's not the Daily Mail or the Sun.
Ciao,
Spokey

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:31

For society you are refering often to minority pressure groups that wield far to much power in certain areas, particularly when certain MPs have particular prejudices.

I've also said that I don't honestly believe that on the issue of cameras the Tory's are going to be drastically different, they may water things a little to just get power. I don't however think that enough people view it as such a negative step in their lives that they would take drastic action about it, or come to it even cast their vote based on that issue alone. It is lost in what individuals view as far more weighty matters to  them.

I agree with you on this. How many occaisions have the newly elected goverment reversed any of the previous government's policies/decisions?

However this may change. the tide of public opinion is turning against new Labour and some of the measures that anger us so much are becoming of a greater importance in the minds of the electorate.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:33

I can't quote from the Grauniad, because the lefties CHARGE for access to their rag.

At least it's not the Daily Mail or the Sun.

TBH I don't like any of them. I just wish there was a purely objective newspaper that printed just the facts rather than pages of opinions with the truth distorted to support their own slant.

But you are right. Better than the Mail or the Sun

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:40

Still, I'm hardly suprised you support and applaud all this fascist malarkey, since it gives the police more well-deserved power.

I didn't vote for a member of our current government's political party in any of the last 3 general elections either.

Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:43

For society you are refering often to minority pressure groups that wield far to much power in certain areas, particularly when certain MPs have particular prejudices.

But we voted those MPs in, who's fault is that ?

I've also said that I don't honestly believe that on the issue of cameras the Tory's are going to be drastically different, they may water things a little to just get power. I don't however think that enough people view it as such a negative step in their lives that they would take drastic action about it, or come to it even cast their vote based on that issue alone. It is lost in what individuals view as far more weighty matters to  them.

I agree with you on this. How many occaisions have the newly elected goverment reversed any of the previous government's policies/decisions?

However this may change. the tide of public opinion is turning against new Labour and some of the measures that anger us so much are becoming of a greater importance in the minds of the electorate.

I really don't see cameras or speed enforcement being a major factor on the voting preferences of the electorate, because I don't see any of the major parties promising a great deal different on that score.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:44
Just for you, Peter:

Here.

Here.

Here.

Here.

And I must admit, I found this one particularly poignant in the light of claims of how Britain's roads are now safer than ever. And, of course, if we're getting lectured by the police about reducing avoidable deaths, how about this?
Ciao,
Spokey

spokey View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:45

I didn't vote for a member of our current government's political party in any of the last 3 general elections either.

Doesn't stop you applauding and supporting these outrageous invasions of our privacy, though.
Ciao,
Spokey

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-February-2006 at 11:47

Doesn't stop you applauding and supporting these outrageous invasions of our privacy, though.

Because I don't see cameras in public places as an invasion of privacy.
Mine & mine alone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic