Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAlpha N or Motec ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2003 at 19:23
Uwe, forgive my ignorance but with this piggy back unit do you also do away with the AFM? as it looks as though you do from the S14 site ?
Sponsored Links

M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-July-2003 at 19:42
Originally posted by 215DMX 215DMX wrote:

Uwe, forgive my ignorance but with this piggy back unit do you also do away with the AFM? as it looks as though you do from the S14 site ?

Yes you do
Jonmurgie View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2003 at 00:11
By far the best ECU/AFM replacement is..... MoTeC

http://www.powerstation.org.uk/ the place to get it done

Combined with a Milltek exhaust =
John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2003 at 03:05
Jon,
You forgot to add hot cams.......
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2003 at 12:37
and the cost! The piggy back unit is EUR 850 if I remember right. 215DMX, yes the AFM is removed. This is what Alpha-N is about. I would like something to suggest.
Have you done a track day with the M3 so far? If not, go and do so. I few months ago I was close to invest quite a bit of money for a engine management system. Ask me now after doing some track days where I would invest the money. I agree with all the improvements of a MOTEC or any other system. The question to ask is, do you really profit from it???? Better throttle respones as an example. From my point of view not very important on track. Pedal stays down most of the time anyway! Maybe in the future whem my driving skills are as good as the cars abilities, I will benefit from a management upgrade. But for now I will get my suspension and brakes sorted. (and some decent tires)
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2003 at 18:29
Totally agree with what Uwe is saying....having come to the same conclusion myself on track. I am not effectively using the power I have through a combination of my driving and suspension which limits the speed through corners.

I've just put a deposit down on some Leda to sort that though....
Jeffo View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2003 at 20:58
Where are you getting your coilovers from and how much are you having to pay? I,m asking cause in about a months time I,m looking at ordering some.
John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2003 at 22:29
Jeffo,
Bexley's do Leda coil-overs. It costs about 1300 fitted I think. They're in Bexleyheath, London. Tel. 02083049797. I bet that's where Tom (Houlbt is getting his from.
Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2003 at 22:46
Alright Doc, how are things .... Bexleys will certainly be fitting them for me can't wait, unfortunately the lead time from Leda is about 5 weeks at the moment, sigh... summer will almost be over before I get them fitted.

250bhp or not the I'm going to be flying past you soon .....enjoy Croft next week, wish I could be there

Tom H

Jeffo... send me an email matey
BMW - Houlbt
Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2003 at 23:56
cheers Jeffo, YHM

John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2003 at 00:01
Originally posted by Houlbt Houlbt wrote:

Alright Doc, how are things .... Bexleys will certainly be fitting them for me can't wait, unfortunately the lead time from Leda is about 5 weeks at the moment, sigh... summer will almost be over before I get them fitted.

250bhp or not the I'm going to be flying past you soon .....enjoy Croft next week, wish I could be there

Tom H

Jeffo... send me an email matey
BMW - Houlbt

Tom......I will spank your ass like I'm your daddy.
Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2003 at 09:46
ok dad

.... come on Leda send me the stuff.
M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2003 at 20:54
I'd agree that a nice set of cams is a much better bang per buck than Motec. A camed up car would make more power than the same car with stock cams & Motec.

It's the power under the curve where the Motec will gain, great for general driving of the car, but whether it would be quicker than a camed car round a track when both are at full chat I'd have my doubts.

I still like that sort of conversion as mine is a daliy driver and it would make the car much more user friendly.
Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2003 at 20:58
Whilst a standard engine in a Leda suspension chassis would be quiker than a standard chassis with a hot cam engine.

IMHO.
John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2003 at 21:42
I'd prefer a car with Motec and standard cams to a car with just hot cams, even if it was a track car. Motec gives about 15-20 BHP throughout the rev range, not to mention extra torque, so it will haul you out of tight hair-pins. A cammed up car would give that gain only at the top. I don't think it would get any more than 20 BHP. How much did you gain Martin?

The debate rages on.

Anyway, Tom....b***ox to all this, you'll have alpha-N of some description before long. I'll take bets on it. And you, Martin.
M3Pilot View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2003 at 23:56
I'm a big fan of dumping the AFM, I'm on your side John. My car went from 203 to 231 with 284/276 cams and a remap. I just remember Colin Wilkinsons car at the dyno day and his car with your exact Motec John only made about 216-218 on that day, Toms car made 234 on the same dyno and the same day with the Schrick 284/276 cams.

You will gain alot of low down torque with Motec , but seeing Toms plots over Colins which i asked Nigel to do when I booked my car in for the cams Tom's was making more from about 5K onward all the way to the redline. This is generally where you drive an S14 round the track or at least you should be.

I know it's not all about the peak numbers but Colins car wasn't overly impressive on that dyno day. But might have felt great driving around town.
Houlbt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2003 at 23:58
lol... thanks John, no doubt you are correct. I was all out to stick some cash into an alpha-n setup but there is no question that on track it was not power holding me back but suspension....

so for now I have changed priorities, handling first, alpha-n second.

John W View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2003 at 00:07
Martin,
Your 28 BHP gain is impressive. I think the problem with Colin's car was the catalyst. When Circuit Driver did their article on E30 M3's and Motec (using Colins car) they showed that his car gained 15-20 BHP throughout the rev range. The torque was better. Max torque was 171 at 6000 RPM instead of 158 at 7000 RPM. However, Powerstation's rollers showed max power was just 219 BHP, hence the need for that car to lose the cats. I wonder where it is now?
Of course I was daft enough to get the cams and Motec done in one hit (not to mention the Milltek exhaust), so I won't know which makes the best difference!!
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2003 at 16:49
my car made 207bhp standard no cat unmapped,217bhp remapped on the same day as Colins,but because it`s a bit slow a pair of cams and remap are going in in a couple of weeks,will post results.Also latter in the year alpha N if I feel it needs it.sh*t you BOYS are going to have to learn how to drive                   Cheers Jon
Andy OH View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2003 at 12:18
I've got Leda, a pair of 284 cams and Motec on mine and it's producing 264bhp, but I did do Leda first and then Motec second. For track use Leda is definitely the way to go, just make sure you get the correct spring rates and spring lengths. Also if you have it all rose jointed, like mine, the Leda will start to rattle after a while, but it is great on track.

Andy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic