Forum LockedArticle: Ban on ’boy racer’ modifications

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 09:38
Originally posted by Fey! Fey! wrote:

That meane that my car will fail the next NCT, even though my tint is within the limits.

Just discovered this...
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI190Y1963.html#ZZSI190Y196 3A34
34.2.b
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Sponsored Links

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 09:46

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Just discovered this...
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI190Y1963.html#ZZSI190Y196 3A34
34.2.b

Excellent bedtime reading!

While it comments on things like exhausts that reduce noise to an acceptable level must be fitted, it doesn't define "acceptable".  Likewise, it doesn't comment on the requirement for a level of accuracy in instruments such as speedo, just that they are fitted.  There must be another bit of legislation that quantifies these things?

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 09:50
I liked this (unrelated):

93. (1) Every pedal cycle (other than a cycle constructed or adapted for use as a racing cycle) while used in a public place shall be fitted with an audible warning device consisting of a bell capable of being heard at a reasonable distance, ...

Whens the last time you saw a bike with a bell! You certainly dont get them as standard on most new bikes. Classic. LOL!
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 09:56

llatsni - I can't remember the last bike I met at night with lights, either!

KB - the tint doesn't really obscure vision - this is open to debate, taking into account how dark the tint is.  However, according to that, our club stickers are illegal!!!

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 10:02
Evil Ben found this for another forum.
Quote 22. (1) Every vehicle and every trailer attached to a vehicle shall, subject to the provisions of sub-article (2) of this article, be equipped with wings or other similar devices to catch, so far as practicable, mud or water thrown up by the rotation of the wheels (or, in the case of a trailer, of the rear wheels) unless adequate protection is afforded by the body of the vehicle.

What type of mud flaps suit an E39?
1997 E39 523i
BAZBMW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 10:03
Interesting...

"(b) all glass and all safety glass fitted to a vehicle shall be maintained in such a condition that it does not obscure the vision of the driver while the vehicle is being driven and shall be kept free of inessential objects or inessential stickers;"

Well thats what tints are is 'inessential stickers' but the arguement really lies in the fact that if it is obsuring the drivers vision.  If so then people wearing shades (I've seen gardai doing this) are also breaking the law by obsuring their vision.

However,
" (d) every speedometer which is required to be fitted under these Regulations shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and kept free from any obstruction which might prevent its being easily read"

All speedos are inacurate (within reason).  By adding a bigger wheel diameter will cause the distance travelled by your car to be different than that of a smaller wheel so your speedo will be wrong then and it could be that the tyre pressure could be lower than when it left the factory to be enough to render the speedo to be a bit off.  I wouldn't think that precision is clue here but moreso that it works to be an effective tool.  Don't the Gardai give leeway in speeding cos of this something like 3%???

I always wonder why my first posts in a new forum, I'm always giving out. :-)

Baz.

Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 10:04
WINGS - I knew I was missing something essential!!!
Richie View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor
Bavarian-Board Forum Sponsor

Irish Region

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 10:05
@Fey
Richie

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 10:10
Originally posted by BAZBMW BAZBMW wrote:

All speedos are inacurate (within reason).  By adding a bigger wheel diameter will cause the distance travelled by your car to be different than that of a smaller wheel so your speedo will be wrong then and it could be that the tyre pressure could be lower than when it left the factory to be enough to render the speedo to be a bit off.  I wouldn't think that precision is clue here but moreso that it works to be an effective tool.  Don't the Gardai give leeway in speeding cos of this something like 3%???

1. that refers to the speedo being in working order, not the wheels, etc. A speedo being off because tyre pressures are off doesn't mean its not working.
2. AIUI the gardai can offer a tolerance but it is actually up to the driver to drive within the limit. It is also up to them to ensure their speedo is as accurate as possible and compensate for any inaccuracies.

I always wonder why my first posts in a new forum, I'm always giving out. :-)
Aah - you will fit right in - welcome to the ranting pit!
1997 E39 523i
BAZBMW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 10:19
I suppose changing your wheels is a "unauthorised modification" ha ha.

Yea your right about it being in good working order I was just pointing out its accuracy isn't 100%, well thats what I say when I'm after being pulled in from 110mph, "eh Garda, long story I bought these 20 inch wheels..."

Glad to hear I'll fit in.  Nothing roils me up more than politicians - junior  that he is, trying to appear in the "know".

Baz

Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 11:02

Interesting...

"(b) all glass and all safety glass fitted to a vehicle shall be maintained in such a condition that it does not obscure the vision of the driver while the vehicle is being driven

However,
" (d) every speedometer which is required to be fitted under these Regulations shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and kept free from any obstruction which might prevent its being easily read"

"all glass and all safety glass fitted to a vehicle " - technically, shades are fitted to the driver, not the car!

Speedo's will never be 100% accurate - the difference in rolling radius of a new tyre, vs. a legal minimum tyre will cause a relative change in the accuracy of the speedo over time.  The level of tolerence in the accuracy of a speedo is defined somewhere in law (I think its up to 10% optimistic, but that it can't under-read), but, as Killian said, it is the responsibility of the driver to ensure they adhere to the relevant limits.  If you change tyre/wheel sizes you need to ensure that the rolling radius remains close to the original (i.e. within 1 or 2 %).  Below is a good link to understand wheel/tyre stuff:-

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/tyre_bible.html

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
mikerd4 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 11:07
Well Ill see if I can get a copy of it but trainee garda are being given a 3 page document designed to (ill be diplomatic) highlight points with which they can pull a "boy racer" under current laws, some of it is shocking and damn petty.  It does not mention how loud a loud exhaust is but what rules etc and how to write the ticket for it.  I can see cases getting thrown out until they are issued light meters (at present I know there is one fully calibrated internationally rated window tint unit in Ireland that is recognised by european courts) and decibel meters.

All about the sounds:-
Source:-Alpine 9833R Comps:-Phoenix Gold Ti6 Elites, Sub:- 2 x Focal Polyglass V2, Amps:- Arc Audio XK4150 & Soundstream Van Gogh All in a custom boot build
BAZBMW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 11:27
Shades technically do
"obscure the vision of the driver while the vehicle is being driven" so technically it is incorrect to wear shades. a_smil17

Good link with the tyres!  Very interesting but thats what I was trying to say in a very small nut shell, atomic in size, kept getting caught reading it by my boss,  I'll give him the same story "eh Boss, long story I bought these 20 inch wheels..."  biggrin1 
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 11:37

Shades technically do
"obscure the vision of the driver while the vehicle is being driven" so technically it is incorrect to wear shades. a_smil17

But they are not fitted to the vehicle (unless you stick then to the bonnet/window, etc.) .....  Oh, the law, what fun eh...?

Re. accuracy of speedo, its to allow for things like production tolerances of the various components (tyres, gears, differential, etc.) that there is an acceptable margin of accuracy and why plod typically gives a margin over the limit on their calibrated gear before they start handing out tickets (unless you annoy them and then its gloves off).

Prev:
e39 523i SE.
gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 11:43

Originally posted by topazman topazman wrote:

His Nct idea won't work cause all they do is put on the stock systems for the test and them put back on the mods after     

I hope no BMW car club member would do this

Gerard O'Connor

1989 E30 320i for track day use
1972 2002 competition car project (delayed!!)
Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
BAZBMW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 11:57
Quote "But they are not fitted to the vehicle (unless you stick then to the bonnet/window, etc.) .....  Oh, the law, what fun eh...?"

a_smil17 We could go on and on, but yes it isn't attached to the car so therefore this law doesn't apply, but if that law was put there to stop cars being driven with tinted windows becuase it will obscure their view then why isn't the same with shades.  Thats my point!!!!   If the NCT is being used to stop this then it be a parrell act to pull over all people wearing shades, a ridculus arguement I know so please stop replying,  I wish I didn't start this.
bigcry

jrafferty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 12:06

"(b) all glass and all safety glass fitted to a vehicle shall be maintained in such a condition that it does not obscure the vision of the driver while the vehicle is being driven and shall be kept free of inessential objects or inessential stickers;"

does that mean i am commiting an offence by having my "bmwcarclub sticker" on the windows?

bmw 323i tc baur(1985)bmw635csi man/lsd(1980)
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 12:10
Originally posted by jrafferty jrafferty wrote:

does that mean i am commiting an offence by having my "bmwcarclub sticker" on the windows?

yes, next time I see you I'll be forced to make a "citizens arrest" javascript:AddSmileyIcon('')
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 12:28

hang on.

If mods are going to be banned: Seeya Killian!

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 12:34
never thought of that John - yet another reason to loathe the [take a dep breath Killian] man!
1997 E39 523i
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic