E21 323i baur
E34 M5
M3 GT
Bryce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2005 at 16:52
Originally posted by Stone-IslandM3 Stone-IslandM3 wrote:

I don't think anyone here is complaining about speed enforcement however they are bemoaning the complete OTT and slimy underhand method police & petty civil servants employ to catch anyone doing 1mph over to gain extra revenue.

If for 1 minute I thought the use of speed cameras was for the good then I would not bemoan then but the prolific nature and siting of the majority are intended for nothing more than to tax the driver.

Also,as you state above the training is not adequate....however this does not mean we need more speed cameras it means we need a better system of training.

I agree regarding training and I would love to see every single perosn who was caught on a camera be givern a fine and a training course to improve driving (fine to pay for course funding). 

I drive approx 20K miles a year, I have been driving for 11 years and I have never been nabbed for speeding by a Cop or camera.  I do speed, I don't speed in a limit below 50mph, I don't understand why anyone does or how they justify it.  I have a  speedo and I know my car,  I know how fast I am driving without gluing my eyeball to the speedo and I simply don't understand how others can't "feel" how fast they are going.  Surely that's part of the fun of driving, to "be at one with the car/bike".  I have never, yet come across a "sneaky" camera or speed trap. 

Bryce,
Volvo FL614/Saxon (1996)(HFRS).
BMW 525i SE touring (1992)
Kawasaki ZX6R F1 (1995)
Bryce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2005 at 16:58
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

sorry Bryce, you're not going to convince me

Speeding alone does not kill

But inappropriate use of speed can!!

and that's where the problem lies.

Yes 100% behind you.  You are correct, my point is that most people don't understand what inappropriate speed is.  80mph in the rain, in rush hour on the motorway is inappropriate.  Unless you don't have to deal with the resut (apart from being late due to the  incovinence of the Police closing the motorway so we can try and save someone's life), in which case I'm sure it's fine...

I am sure we will never 100% agree, and I hope you never have to experiance the reasons why I have the opinons that I do.  I really do hope that, for your sake.

Bryce,
Kawasaki ZX6R F1 (1995)
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2005 at 17:08
Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

If you have a backward looking Govt of any politics with fixed attitudes--you will never solve problems.

This Govt do not approve of individual freedom of choice including movement, so not only are drivers fighting for their so called Rights---they also have to fight against the brainwashed machine which hasnt got a clue--but Must be obeyed.

Coming up with quick fixes, which have not been thought out and knee jerk reactions are as bad as doing nothing and hoping the problem will go away.

As with most things in life , training is at the centre of progress and updating it is vital .Our roadusers education is outdated, pathetic, not co-ordinated , and has stood in a time warp.A driving course and test which continues to be updated has never been implemented---Why??.

Just when 18 million drivers need far better advice & encouragement to improve their standards, they get the Scameras and slime to help them on their way---and the great brainwashed wonder why? so many drivers are resentful and have lost respect for law, and the Trafpol who used to patrol their roads, and could spot a bad driver a mile away---unlike the scams.

I will reserve opinion on this scam proposal until the smoke clears and the 2 way mirrors move away.

LOL - come to Ireland where the following exist:-
* no driver education. Someone who fails their driving test is allowed to drive home alone!
* extremely poor infrastructure. Until recently there was a belief that a little hedge in the central meridian of a motorway was stronger than armco and would stop everyhing!
* our speed enforcement system is about to be privatised and presumably this will result in a system similar to yours with cameras everywhere but being a cynic, I suspect there will be absolutely zero tolerance.

However, similar to the UK we have plenty of inappropriate speed limits. Our limits were recently converted to metric (we had a strange situation where distances were metric but speeds were imperial - you drove 60km at 60mph!).
Anyhow, when doing this conversion, many limits were increased or decreased due to the nature of the road - e.g. national roads became 100kmph instead of 60mph. However, some schools along stretches  of these roads were also upped to 100kmph. Similarly some very clear straight stretches were given the equivalent of 50mph (80kmph) and they could realistically support higher speeds.
But what really gets me is that the lowest limit is 50kmph (~30mph) and this is used in urban areas. Apparently local authorities can set lower limits if they want but this has not been used at all afaik. Anyhow, with a popular trend by local authorities to put ramps everywhere I don't understand why they don't also choose to reduce the limit from 30kmph to say 15kms. The ramps are definitley designed to cause inconvienence whilst sufficiently under the limit, so why have the limit? I might look into this...

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
skull View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-November-2005 at 18:27
there are 2 sides to every coin , reason for and reason against.
i have driven rode and raced on the IOM and saw a few accidents and deaths.
i have done the same on the racetrack.
i have seen the aftermath of stupid and dangerous driving.
and yes headless young lads who steal a car he is unable to handle that landed on its roof with his mates head stuck out of the sunroof. all 3 died.
but i could also fall over and die from banging my head on the floor at less than 4mph.
i have a mate who lost his arm in a rta because a van pulled out on him while he was riding past on his motorbike, he was doing 25mph as he just pulled off himself, the van was doing about 20mph.
my girlfiend is in a wheelchair for life as she was run over by a artic turning a corner into a side street and mounted the pavement dragging her under its wheels.
she cant have anymore kids has no legs and only half her insides, she was in hospital for over 9 months and when she came out she just got on with her life passed her driving test and drives a vw carravell with hand controls and a lift.
i dont need to tell you her views on this subject of speeding and cameras as its the same as mine.
life kills you whatever you do.
the government is outdated and so is thier views,driving tests are outdated and so is the highway code.
if my missus can see that its driving standards and a lack of proper training and policing then why cant anyone else.
speed can kill but in only 16 to 17% of accidents that it does , how about solving the other 87% of causes first.
sorry rant over. but i only use facts unlike the government who use bull.... for figures.
just a little crazy.

My drive
E46 M3 COUPE [MAN]CARBON BLACK GREY LEATHER H/K 19"s LED REARS S/B.
Bryce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 04:46
Skull,

A very sad turn of events and something that shouldn't happen to anyone.  Any RTC is unnecessary and anyone at fault involved should be made to take advanced lessons, with the same offered to the "not at fault party(s)".

How many people have, off their own back, taken further lessons, advanced and so on to improve driving?  It's a stupidly low number and one that we (the public) should change, but we don't, we are too lazy yet there are regonised orgs that will help improve your driving for far less than it costs most people to learn to pass the DSA test.

If the money from speed cameras was used to subsidise this training or to force people who break the law and get caught to take further training then the roads would be a safer place.  And if we decided to improve ourselves then maybe we would be better/safer drivers, less death/injurys and so on.  So obviously everyone who complains about any law/incident on the road and reads this post will sign up with the IAM etc. to improve themselves.  Yeah right, people will just moan and moan and not do anything procative.

I read on another forum "If everyone stopped speeding then no one would get caught and the camera partnerships would go bankcrupt"  But that means obeying the law and obviously you, me  and everyone are above that, after all it's only a road law.
Bryce,
Kawasaki ZX6R F1 (1995)
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 07:51

But the law is hopelessly out of date. I'm not talking about the 30 limit, but the national speed limit was set years ago and is just too low. I drove up the M1 the other day at an indicated 80 -90mph. Was I being dangerous and irresponsible? was I endangering the lives of others? I don't think so. Oh and I have had advanced driver training with the IAM. Interestingly enough they were far less bothered about the speed you drove at and much more concerned about the important things like observation, concentration and attitude

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 08:12
Originally posted by Bryce Bryce wrote:

if the driver was traveling at a slower pace we might have had two people alive.  It's a big chance and a very huge amount of the time you will get away with it.

You're quite correct, of course. The safest thing of all is for us to just sit in our houses. The world out there is inherently far too scary for a sensible person.

Don't forget to get everything with a sharp edge out of the house as well, lest you injure yourself with a blade and stock up a large supply of food that can be eaten raw, because you can get shocked by electricity and a gas fire could burn your house down.
Ciao,
Spokey

Bryce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 08:43
Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

You're quite correct, of course. The safest thing of all is for us to just sit in our houses. The world out there is inherently far too scary for a sensible person.

Don't forget to get everything with a sharp edge out of the house as well, lest you injure yourself with a blade and stock up a large supply of food that can be eaten raw, because you can get shocked by electricity and a gas fire could burn your house down.

As I said, My collegues and I have to deal with the aftermarth of RTC's.  It's very easy to sit back and poo-poo my opinion but I am 100% sure that if you see some of the things we see/deal with you would be  more understanding of the need for people to at least respect limits.  But most people don't, a huge number of people say it's fine to  do 85mph in the rain on a motorway and 99.9% of the time they get away with it.  At some point the 0.01% of time will occur and it is very nasty.

Although cars have increased in safety features in the last 30 or 40 years so have the number of cars but the driver training is the weak point.  So we have faster, stronger cars, but millions more of them on a road system where people don't observe properly, don't respect/consider others, and pick and choose which laws to obey...  Yeah what a good idea, lets let them go faster and not enforce the limits.  That's what you want is it? 

Take the pi$$, I have seen enough to know the general public, on the roads are not "good" enough to legally travel at 85mph because they are not clever/educated enough to drive safely at our present limits.  Prove I'm wrong.  Prove that trying to take a roof of a car when the car is covered in bit's of the occupents and even though we can tell they are dead, we still have to carry on until a docotr cert's them dead, is fun.  It isn't, it won't ever be.

Bryce,
Kawasaki ZX6R F1 (1995)
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 09:13

That's the way of the world... and your job.

I need to get my soap box out now!!!!

I am really pleased I pay my taxes to keep some pillock in whitehall that knows better than me how fast I should be driving on an empty country lane at 3am, or the M1 a 2am etc. when, generally the roads are empty or populated by more skilled drivers (professional drivers, truckers etc.)

It's also great that I am paying for a grey box that is far more qualified than an experienced traffic bab.

And I just love these community do-gooders with their pristine hi-viz jackets, state of the art radar guns, 6 foot field of view (old, retired, blind) who are better equipped to spot a stereotype than a speeding motorist! Aren't they doing a good job! MY ARS3!!

Variable limits must and should be the way forward for higher speed roads.  This way authorities can then show a bit of flexibility with times (night time), traffic loading (also geographical- the SE vs. Lincolnshire!!) and prevailing conditions, all of which are monitored on our motorway network already!!

and to complete my rant, if that ars3, darling, thinks he is going to fit me with a satellite tracker, I am going to london to personally shove it where he usually sticks his seatpost!!!!!!!

spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 09:36

Although cars have increased in safety features in the last 30 or 40 years so have the number of cars but the driver training is the weak point.  So we have faster, stronger cars, but millions more of them on a road system where people don't observe properly, don't respect/consider others, and pick and choose which laws to obey...  Yeah what a good idea, lets let them go faster and not enforce the limits.  That's what you want is it? 

Actually, you are entirely wrong. I would happily endure an annual license retest and I think the standard of driver training in the UK is appalling for a first-world country.

I strongly advocate improved driver training: when my daughter is old enough to earn her license, I will be funding skidpan days and high-speed driver training for her. I try to do at least one track day and one skidpan day a year so that I can remain sharp.

My problem with speed laws is that they achieve the exact opposite of making people drive more safely: they are easy to enforce, generate revenue and do absolutely NOTHING to encourage people to think about the environment in which they are driving. All they make people do is slow down (often unnecessarily and often catastrophically) when they see a camera.
Ciao,
Spokey

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 11:16

[QUOTE=spokey]
a huge number of people say it's fine to  do 85mph in the rain on a motorway and 99.9% of the time they get away with it.  At some point the 0.01% of time will occur and it is very nasty.

This is exactly the point why I don't like speed cameras. On many occaisions when it is foggy, the rain is very heavy or it is icey, it isn't even safe to do 70mph on a motorway. But cameras do not pick this up. However on the same stretch of road on a hot sunny day when it is quiet, you could drive at 80mph and not pose any more danger than driving at 70, however a speed will camera catch you. The other night I was passed by a bloke who was only doing about 60mph, the trouble is it was pitch black on a totally unlit road and it was raining so hard my wipers could hardly keep up. When he passed the spray from his car was like someone blasting the windscreen with a fire hose, however he hadn't broken the speed limit, and a speed camera would not have stopped him.

Speed cameras only look at one variable whereas accidents are caused by a whole range of different variables. How many accidents can be purely attributed to someone breaking the speed limit and not other factors like road conditions, alcohol, tiredness, driving too close etc?

I'll bet the number that are caused by speed and speed alone is very small.....however it is easy to catch speeders and it is a good way of making money.

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 11:23
two words - inappropriate speed.
If this was tackled then fatalities would decrease overnight. However, it is pretty much impossible to monitor properly!

edit: I must realy lern how to spel proper

Edited by kbannon
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 11:26

...and i dare say that your definition if inappropriate speed and mine are very different.

edit:KB - you spelld proper alright that time...

Edited by sleeper
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 11:37

Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

sorry Bryce, you're not going to convince me Speeding alone does not kill  But inappropriate use of speed can!!  and that's where the problem lies.

Yes 100% behind you.  You are correct, my point is that most people don't understand what inappropriate speed is.  80mph in the rain, in rush hour on the motorway is inappropriate.  Unless you don't have to deal with the resut (apart from being late due to the  incovinence of the Police closing the motorway so we can try and save someone's life), in which case I'm sure it's fine...

I am sure we will never 100% agree, and I hope you never have to experiance the reasons why I have the opinons that I do.  I really do hope that, for your sake. 

Bryce, I too hope that I never experiance on the public road what you have to deal with. I have in my small way dealt with similar instances - but on the race-track when I am marshalling!

The use of inappropriate speed, and the stupidity of drivers still applies there - but due to the extra safety precautions rarely ends up with such serious consequences!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Bryce View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 11:43
Well I do agree that we need more Police in cars doing  their jobs and I would MUCH prefer to see more cops than more speed camera  for ALL of the reasons that  you all mention.

But the M25 has variable limits with cameras to catch those who disobey those limits yet many peple whinge about them, I think they are a good idea bceause the road does flow better when people obey the variable rules.

I don't think (and neither do most of you it appears) that the standard of driving is good in this country so why in hell would you want to rasie the limit on the motorway?  So that these drivers with little ability can carry there skills at higher speeds? that is mad!

Before limits can be increased everyone needs to be at a higher standard, that means education.

I would love every speed camera to be moved and for me to be able to drive as fast as I wanted but I also understand it isn't safe because of other people.  Like people who pull out from junctions in front of bikes (as was mentioned, when the biker was doing 25mph and I belive he was badly hurt, double that speed and have the same accident... The biker maybe the best in the world but if he can't avoid a van pulling out when he is doing 25mph what would happen at hight speeds? (not suggesting your biker mate was bad/at fault in anyway)).

So lets make the govement spend every penny of "profit" from cameras on driver education, IAM etc. for everyone and refreshers every few years.  Then at least those that moan about cameras know the money is for a good use rather than filling a drinks cabinet for the toffs.

I think blanket "cameras are evil" comments are daft, I think blanket "cameras are good" comments are also daft.  They have a place but that place isn't always in the crusher.
Bryce,
Kawasaki ZX6R F1 (1995)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 11:52

I think blanket "cameras are evil" comments are daft, I think blanket "cameras are good" comments are also daft.  They have a place but that place isn't always in the crusher.

Any blanket comments tend to be daft, a bit like all BMW drivers are.......

Speed cameras opposite schools are OK in my book, but then you seldom find them there.

sleeper View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Original and STILL best

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 11:57

..I'v got a luvverly patchwork quilt....

(sorry.)

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 14:05

Bryce-agree with some comments ---which makes me angry that the Brainwashed Govt slime are not forced to attend RTA,s  to witness the results of lack of a Suitable driving Course--before the test.Retests every 5 + years could be something else--WHY not?? MOT every year !!!.

I have attended many driving courses, over the years at my expense--NO big deal--just a petrol heads wish to be a Good driver-I know it HAS saved my life--and have the photo,s to prove it. The Govt/s are criminals to have ignored the ongoing training of drivers--Purely due to Politics--while pretending to be SO concerned about Road safety, Looks good--instant take the heat off other subjects--while we have to live with the constant threat to drivers jobs and futures.

In all the years of woffle on road safety--ALL Talk and NO action from the Govt who take our 45 BILLION £££, and give nothing but agro back.

Skull--- my heart goes  out to you both, --and my GREAT respect.

SAFETYFAST
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic