Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEvo3 engine blueprints

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2005 at 07:12
Just going back to the top of the thread about balancing. Surely comparing a balanced crank on it's own and a dummy built crank with rods and the like is not comparing apples with apples. Is balancing a purely static process, i.e. each item is balanced on it's own. Or are the crank, rods, clutch etc all assembled and then balanced ? If so, then the discrepency between BMW supplying a balanced crank and an engine builder saying it was a mile out could be explained.
Sponsored Links

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2005 at 17:57

I thought ballancing was spinning the crank with flywheel, crank pulley, clutch cover and bolts all bolted together and machining to improve, The pistons all weighed and matched to eachother (all weigh the same) and the same with the rods?

The reason for knowing the combustion chamber cc is that mine has had a valve replaced previously and although it maybe overkill for a road engine, while its apart I didn't think it any harm to get all the chambers equal. I just want to get the engine as near to perfect as possible. As I have no plans to sell, I think it worthwhile.

How do you work out compression ratios? I've been looking for the calculations, but unable to find it. I am just curious on what mine is with the 2.3 crank fitted? Again, just out of curiosity, how high a compression ratio can you go for an effective power increase on the S14?

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
John-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2005 at 16:51

Hey guys,

the DTM cranks are BALANCED at 1100 RPMs.

if you balance each component to very tight tolerances on their own, then in sum they should be quite ok. gr. A engine specs are for each component (rod, pistons, crank..)   you CAN then dynamic balance the full assembly, but if you ever change the type of clutch/flywheel, it is no better than not balancing the entire assembly -- and it could be detrimental if not all of the components were well balanced each for themselves.  in fact, if I knew my assembly required a further correction as a whole, then when swapping in a new component like a flywheel (which will be balanced on its own), id still check the entire balance again.  do you realize what this entails?  lets say you decide to go from a sachs sport clutch to a tilton or AP twin disc carbon clutch with magnesium flywheel. That would represent a large change in inertia that is seen at the end of the crank.

the second issue to consider here is that I dont trust just anyone on a crank or a balancing machine. BMW has the best machines available, I dont know if your local garage buddy down the street has the same.  When someone starts taking metal off a crank, Im also leary.  Not every Joe knows what the stress inside the crank is. Even engineers dont know it. Thats why they model it, then they run numerous tests. This is something that can effect longevity. Although even the factories have take the inner 2 counter weights OFF ENTIRELY on a 4 cylinder crank. They got it balanced. But it is meant for racing where longevity is not the same issue as on street. As long as we are clear on that, no problem.  With this technique you can get a S14 crank down to sub 14 kg easily enough.  On my own (street) engine, I decided not to go down this route. I still currently have no CF clutch installed (yet), I figure the latter make a huge change in revability (think motorbike), coupled with a magnesium clutch this should be more than necessary to make my engine rev happy -- although it is ALREADY rev happy.  I voluntarily limit it to 8500 rpm. It is built to handle 9600 rpm. I would have to misshift and hit > 10000 rpm before I get piston-valve collisions.

I have a few pictures I got from the internet on the S14 head. whoever it was that wants it email me. They are technical drawings.

I also have some gr. A specs -- motorsport always gives tolerances for their measurments.  I believe (from memory) the head chamber is 43 + 0.5 cc.  I hope you know how to CC more accurate than .5 CC :) If you are getting into this, you are going to need every single spec, every tolerance, and you will have to measure every chamber, every piston, every rod, every fuel injector, the volume of ever intake and exhaust port, piston to valve clearance on every cylinder, valve heights on every valve, valve spring rates and shim stack on every valve, weights of pistons, weights of your shim under buckets, your valve weights, measuremetns of each cam journal etc. etc.  (OK relax: atleast for a few parts, like the cams, if they are motorsport cams you get documented measurements for the cams -- every single journal to very high tolerances)

This is what I believe they mean in the USA when you read "blue printing".  If you do it all -- you will fill about 25-30 pages of engine build charts and spend a lot of time. Some people just measure a SINGLE cylinder and ASSUME the others are the same, as when they dial in cams and just check clearance to the piston on 1 cylinder  -- they also say they have blue printed engines. Thats not really correct (but does not mean their engines not well built anyway, they are just not "blue printed" to the full extent).

So, I hope you know what you are getting into here :)  I can help you with the gr. A stuff, I just need to find it laying around somewhere here.

But BEFORE you get all excited about this -- remember this is also a typical MARKETING/SALES point to pull more money out of your pocket.  The pros really to build top engines like this, but they are also very expensive build ups. They also x-ray engine blocks. Ask your local tuner if he has this capability...  You need to have a very honest builder to work with and have full trust that the work you are asking for is actually being done, and done right with all the proper machines at their disposal. Machines cost money which will reflect itself in the price of the work you are charged. If the shop has no machines, well, they cant do the work, they out source it.  You should be able to drop into the shop without notice to find someone working on your parts and seeing top notch work being performed. There are VERY FEW people at the "grass roots level" I trust with this sort of stuff; the people I do trust know me very well and we have a long working relationship and when I have parts machined, I can stand right there and watch while its done (which I do). Famous companies can probably do the work (like Randlinger/Quintec in Germany, or some of your famous shops in England) -- but they also have nice prices.  There are Randlinger hillclimb S14 engines that cost 100000 DM back in the day (49000 euro).  Unfortunately, with engine work you outsource to various shops, its very hard to say later who did what wrong when something goes wrong. This is part of the reason why a builder should be able (==knowledgeable) to understand all the processes and steps involved -- and check them.  Some builders do this, some just CLAIM to do this.  This is time intensive work, so it also costs a bit of money for all this "blue printing" and checking and double checking. We often read about various engine build prices, but really you can just read a build-spec sheet and know exactly what kind of work went into it unless you did it yourself.

BTW, on my engine things like rods and pistons were balanced down to 0 on the scale which had a 0.001 g accuracy. But gr. A does not demand this, and there is also a spec for the rods with the pistons which must be met (I dont remember at moment but can look it up). Getting piston mass perfect is also a bit of a TRADEOFF with compression ratio if you measure any chamber volume differences, or your crank has a slightly longer stroke on one cylinder than another. you can take mass of the underside of the pistons, or on the top at the dome, but the dome is adjusted to get the desired compression ratio. You can go for perfect comression ration on all pistons, or perfect mass on all pistons. doesnt really make sense does it? thats why we have tolerances.  as a result of this, we are also going to see varying intake flow into each cylinder, and injectors are normally rated to 3% unless you have some specially matched ones (gr. A balanced injectors that are matched run 200 euro a piece). Motorsport cam lifts have up to 0.05 (maximum) toleranc on lift though they are usually significantly below this number.

The end result is: you can play the "tight tolerances" game to get as much power as possible, but it does cost time and money. and I will reiterate that I truly believe a lot of shops are not HONEST and tell you a bunch of crap because it sounds good and it pulls the money out of your pocket. So be careful. When you find the right people who know how to do this kind of work, you will know.

John

John-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2005 at 16:55

I run 12.3:1  compression ratio. Some people run 12.6-12.7:1 CR. (as CC'd in the engine! not via "nominal" CR rating of the piston)

This also depends on cams.

Your spark plugs and engine mapping should also suit.

John

Edited by John-M3
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2005 at 16:46

Hi John, Some good reading!

I'm not after a fully blown racing engine, but a nice, strong, powerfull standard engine. I want to keep this car standard, but to an extremely good standard. I heard the Evo3 in standard trim struggles to make all the 238BHP BMW say it does, so I want to have a go at getting the full 238, or more???? just with ballancing, blueprinting and carefull assembly.

I don't know much about the measurements or capacities, tolerances of the S14 2.5 or the 2.3 either, and have struggled to find any solid technical information and dimensions of all the components.

Any help in this area would be much appreciated.

Are you John with the red Evo3 at the ring? Thats a superb car you have if it is you, and I would love a passenger ride - er...if its on offer ofcourse?

Paul.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
M3DTM View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2005 at 02:52

Paul,

Don't take a ride with John in his red M3. You'll be hooked!!! For sure after that your SE won't be build to standard SE spec.  It's gone cost you.

John

A properly sorted E30 M3 is still 'King of the Ring'
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2005 at 02:54
Originally posted by M3DTM M3DTM wrote:

Paul,

Don't take a ride with John in his red M3. You'll be hooked!!! For sure after that your SE won't be build to standard SE spec.  It's gone cost you.

John

Fully agree!

As for spec's, go and buy yourself a TIS CD on the well know auction house. That should have enough data as a staring point.
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2005 at 09:49
Paul,
Forget about a full blueprinted engine for the road,unless you have money to burn.
Blue printing comes into its own,on the tightly regulated one make races when no mods are aloud at all,when 3-5bhp more than the next block is an advantage.
Your best bet,without spending a fortune would be;
Set the deck height.
1. Have the crank corrected for stroke and ballanced
2. Have the rods checked and adjusted for length and balanced
3. Assemble and check height of each piston.Useing the height of the lowest one,have the other 3 adjusted to match(crowns machined)Balance pistons.
4.Have the deck/face of the block adjusted to set deck height.
You can now adjust combustion chamber volume and know it will be right.
Obviously very simplified,but I`m sure you get the idea.If you go this far I would personally have the rods lightened,shotpeened etc..and also have the crank tufterided or whatever they do nowdays.

cheers Jon
John-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2005 at 14:17

Uwe, he wont find much in the TIS. But can find in the gr. A shop manual. e.g. the roughness of the hone is specified in that and much more.

gr. A engine are blueprinted.  but, BMW motorsport "selects" parts. e.g. if you buy bearings they are closer than if you get them from BMW. If you buy their injectors they are a balanced set. If you buy gr A valves they all weigh the same within tight tolerance (I know because I measured them). If you buy valve spring the spring rates are matched.

anyway, back in the day BMW motorsport got 220 hp out of its gr. N engines  when the stock one for the street was only making 200 hp. not all the parts were from normal BMW parts supply, but some special motorsport race parts (like the block which was honed differently)

John

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-October-2005 at 19:03

John-M3, be carefull, you may have an evo3 engine shipped to you for a nice rebuild soon!

When I raced my old 1.6 XR2, standard power output for these were 96bhp, but after blueprinting and ballencing it made 104bhp straight away, then after playing with ignition timing and fueling made 110bhp. After a season of racing and testing I dyno'd it again as the engine was feeling particularly free and strong and it made 123bhp. This engine was stripped, measured for machining and ballancing, and rebuilt by a chap who used to work for the SVE department of Ford. It kinda helped that he was heavily involved with the delevopment of that CVH engine beck in the late 1970's, so he knew exactly what the measurements should be. It made a shocking difference. One thing, he or I never cheated. Fords machines were that bad! 40thou off the block for starters!

As Jon90 suggests, it may not be worth going out and out blueprinting of all components for the road, especially if you may only get another 5bhp. If 15-20+ bhp can be regularly seen from going that route, it maybe worth it. I was basically looking at the sort of work Jon90 is suggesting, as that is kind of blueprinting and would make the engine run very smooth and nice.

Anyone know what my compression ratio would be with a 2.3 crank fitted to my 2.5 engine? I have been trying to work it out, but its doing my head in!

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2005 at 03:00
Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

Anyone know what my compression ratio would be with a 2.3 crank fitted to my 2.5 engine? I have been trying to work it out, but its doing my head in!

with which pistons?????
John-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2005 at 06:34
Shep, I would say that you can find 15-20 hp on a 200 hp
engine by utilizing tolerances.   This is the reason that
BMW motorsport racing division "specially selects" certain parts that come from *standard* stocked parts to be installed in motors. The rest of the parts are special constructions not from standard stock (like Pankl rods, or various types of race pistons, or a special crank etc.).  It is also generally suspected that some car companies often give the performance magazines specially prepped cars for their tests.

It is well known that you can get all the same parts together as your friend has to build up the same motor and you will likely end up with slightly different results. Sometimes with drastically different results. An acquaintance of mine that decided to build the same motor I have had just this experience. It is hard to feel 10 hp seat of the pants, this was quite significant and immediately noticed in a direct comparison. Many things can go wrong and one must look at everything in detail to find the culprit.

Unless I was very sure of what I was doing, I do not think I would start sourcing out my parts to different people for "adjustments" then to have some other builder install it all.  You need 1 person making all the decisions and measurements. They will also make the invariable tradeoffs. They will decide, as part of a general motor concept, what gets machined and how.

Since I know that we can get a healthy 260-270 hp (real hp, none of
this trumped up hp numbers) using mostly standard BMW parts on a quality buildup *without* correction work, Id also agree with Jon90 and say you may rather invest your money in better parts than going for the ultimate in tolerances. where in doubt, buy motorsport race parts -- these are checked and documented (every cam e.g. is documented)  having the block deck checked and possibly resurfaced is standard procedure on a used block. same with the head. a good hone pattern with quality rings to ensure a good seal  is also standard procedure. little things like this add up.  offset grinding a crank or changine rod big ends is going to end up with differently classed bearings -- Im not sure Id want that.  That is usually done when the part has a problem and the owner wants to save it. Sometimes it just make sense to buy new rods or a new crank when you compare the costs. IMO, lightened rods and pistons pay off most when trying to rev higher than the standard 7000. the relative change in intertia is not as pronounced at lower rpms. Of course the more power you want the more important little details become...

on your compression ratio question: you have standard 10.2:1.
if nothing else changed, but the stroke went from 87 mm to 84 mm,
then your CR would drop to 9.8:1

John

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2005 at 06:51
Originally posted by John-M3 John-M3 wrote:

on your compression ratio question: you have standard 10.2:1.
if nothing else changed, but the stroke went from 87 mm to 84 mm,
then your CR would drop to 9.8:1

John

John what piston have you assumed for this calculation?
He is thinking to fit a 84mm crank into the EVO3 block.
So the first thing which come to my mind is, what pistons are you going to use with the 95mm bore of the block.
He will need custom pistons anyway, so CR can be done to any value he wants.

Edited by UweM3
lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2005 at 08:15
John-M3, any experience of Kempower ? Just interested as they make great claims on their web site but I don't know anyone with first hand experience.

Rgds

Roops
John-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2005 at 14:01

Uwe, I dont know. I thought we were just talking aber a theoretical 84 mm crank in the evo3 block with standard 95.0 mm pistons. rod length 144 mm the same in either case. In such case, we should see around 9.8:1.

I do not see a reason to install an 84 mm crank in the evo3 block.  evo3 cranks are cheaper than 2.3l cranks (or atleast when I checked some time ago).

Roops, I have no experience with Kempower. They may be good. I have to say, since I am in Munich I have access to pretty good machinists, e.g. people that worked for BMW Motorsport for 30 years and can still get a head done like they were done for DTM, because he is one of the SAME guys that worked on them. If I want my block bores+honed, then I have the guy in Bad Tolz that did DTM blocks, if I need an exhaust system, I have 2 people in Bad Tolz that make exhausts. etc.

John

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2005 at 15:44
Originally posted by John-M3 John-M3 wrote:

Uwe, I dont know. I thought we were just talking aber a theoretical 84 mm crank in the evo3 block with standard 95.0 mm pistons. rod length 144 mm the same in either case. In such case, we should see around 9.8:1.

John

I am still curious how you came to 9.8 as a result. I have played a bit on CAD for Karim to see how low he could get Compression with 95mm pistons on a 84mm crank.
And that was somewhere close to 9 or even less, can't remember. Imagine how much lower that piston will be.

I dig the model out if you liketo see it.

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
UK Sport Evolution.

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-October-2005 at 19:01
Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

with which pistons?????

Uwe, 2.5ltr pistons. My engine is definately an evo3 engine, except when the engine was rebuilt by a previous owner, they fitted the 2.3 crank. All other parts, ie piston rings, inlet and exhaust valve were all for the 2.5ltr. There is an invoice in the file I have a couple of days after the crank was supplied which is for the nut to hold the front pulley on. IDIOTS! calm!

1.5mm down the bore at TDC must mean alot of compression pressure lost I would have thought. I have still yet to dyno the car to see what power it is putting out with that crank. But it feels alot more powerfull than the 160 it had when I got it!

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2005 at 05:09
You kidding me!

I am sorry but actually the piston is 2.25mm down, not 1.5

I still don't believe this has happened. OMG!
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2005 at 13:48
Brings back memories from when I was racing.I had an Triumph 2.5 pi with a TR6 engine that we used to tow with.
I gave it to my dad who fried the engine.SoI bought a short block from a firm called king of Lee and had a friend fit it.
It changed hands a couple of times between racer friends and eventually found its way to the guy that used to build my engines.On stripping it he rang to say it had 2 litre pistons fitted,instead of the 2.5 ones,and how come no one had noticed as the pistons were miles down the bore No wonder it was down on power.

Jon
John-M3 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-October-2005 at 14:04

Hey Uwe, I just plugged the numbers into a little calculation program I have.  So I may have made a mistake.  But, I assumed all things are the same, just the crank changes.  Not comparing to a 2.3l setup with 2.3l pistons. so for the comparo: the rods are 144.0 mm in both cases.  the piston is the same 95.0 e3 piston in both cases.  so if we have case a) 84 mm crank and case b) 87 mm crank, the piston in case a) should be 1.5 further down the bore compared to case b), right?

thanks for posting the schematic.  where did you get the block deck measurements from?  218 and 218.25 mm?

just an observation: in the e3 piston with compression height 30.75 mm and dish depth 0.75 mm, my piston if machined flat (e.g. no dome) would have 30.66 compression height and no dish.

John

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic