Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 07:52

Originally posted by Nashby Nashby wrote:

ok yours is different to mine

Bummer!  I thought your description sounded different to mineI had it in my head that the 523 and 528 engines were much the same or do you have a M52TU engine?  Mine is just the M52 i.e. single vanos and manual throttle instead of dual vanos and electronic throttle.  Or am I talking rubbish here

Thanks anyway. 

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sponsored Links

Nashby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2005 at 07:56
no idea, all i can tell u is that my car is a 98 and its on the change over period and mine is the later one
Ian :0 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 07:46

So what does a Cyclone Valve do then and what's the effect of having a dicky one (other than the fog horn noise) like me ?

Ian
Nashby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 12:48
Well mine had the noise, drove me mad, but also as it got worse it started to develop flat spots, it as crisp as it used to be now, i believe it controls the breather system
Nashby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2005 at 12:49
Also it's worth bearing in mind that on mine the pressure pipe that goes to the fuel pressure regulater comes from the cyclone valve
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2005 at 07:30
Asked my mechanic about this and he checked with his contact at the local dealership. Neither have heard of a Cyclone Valve ?! Does it have a more common name or can someone show me where it is on a E39 520 engine diagram please !
Ian
Nashby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2005 at 07:34
i tell you what, ring my dealer on 08456047619 they supplyed the valve
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 07:45

Well, I got the part (which apparently separates the oil from the crank-case gasses and directs it back down to the sump). See http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DM12&mospi d=47537&btnr=11_2194&hg=11&fg=15 . I happened to be at my independent garage when he tried to fit it. Unfortunately, my E39 520 has it buried behind a mass of parts and pipes deep under the inlet manifold. There was no way to get at it from the air-box route and it would appear the only way is attack it from the top and strip the manifold and all that goes with it. Job was abandoned

Looks like I'm stuck !

Ian
Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2005 at 12:20
Ian

I had my BMindy guys change my cyclone valve on my 1999 520. They didnt have to strip the manifold.....attacked it from above the engine bay, removing the airbox and oil dipstick tube plus a couple of other pipes. All in took them about an hour.
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
Nashby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2005 at 03:07
Yes thats the same as mine, took out air box, then idle valve, i just loosened my oil tube, its a fiddle but can be done, it is under the manifold near the front, have to take out all inlet air pipe and air flow meter too
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2005 at 07:33

Thanks for that. I may ask the main dealer and get a cost estimate from them. The description sounds straight forward, but when I looked and saw what was in the way (looking on from the air filter side), plus the fact that I could only just see the very bottom of it showing (considering it's about 5" high), it seemed a massive job. My mechanic had the same view. Can I presume this part is only held in place by the pipes that are attached to it ? i.e. if the pipes are removed from their other ends, then the valve can be extracted from underneath the inlet manifold ?

Apologies for labouring the point, but I just want to be clear before I set someone off on what seemed an impossible task !

Thanks.

Ian
Nashby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2005 at 07:41
it took me about an hour and a half, it was held in by two or three bolts or screws i forget now, but once i got some parts off and i loosened the wiring junction under there too it wasn't too bad, just fiddly
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2005 at 08:01

I forgot that I had some piccies on my phone.

This is the view with the air box off. The torch shows the direction of view of the next photo. You can see the red top of the dip-stick.

Click to view full size image

This next photo shows the view under the manifold. The very bottom of the valve is dead centre, behind all this gubbins....(can't see it here).

This is the final close-up. If I knew how to superimpose, I could show an arrow, but safe to say, it's bearly visible behind the foreground pipes etc. As I said earlier, the perplexing thing was that this was the very bottom of the thing and it ain't a small part !

Ian
Nashby View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2005 at 08:04
Yes that all looks the same to me, just got to strip stuff out till you see it, the top pipe goes to the fuel regulator, the others go in from the side, it is doable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic