Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedProject car back at last!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project car back at last!!
    Posted: 14-January-2007 at 21:11
Right lads – finally I got her back after the respray. I know shes sitting a little high at the mo but this is due to the fact that its engine and gearbox less!!!

heres a link to how she used to look -
click here for old pix

For those that don’t know, this car started out as a standard 320 with rear drums and 46mm front struts. It also had standard seats, no electrics, manual rack and manual sunroof. It had the standard chrome and sat on 14” bottle tops.

So what have I done??????

Well, lets start with the spray job itself. It’s a bare metal respray. The shell was completely stripped – interior, trims, dash, carpet, door locks, glass, lights etc etc. Luckily enough the shell was spot on – no rust issues and no signs of crash damage. There was a couple of dings on the panels but these were filled accordingly. Underneath was spot on as well and 100% rust free. It seems it had been rust proofed before. However I decided to go the whole hog and spent a full day under the car hosing it and then wire brushing it down. It was then drowned in fresh waxoil again all underneath!! As the interior and carpet was out, I waxoiled the interior as well including the arches but they were solid as a rock anyways. I think we then put on 6 coats of paint and 4 coats of laquer in total.   The only body panels I replaced were the 2 front wings as one had a big crease on it and the other had been painted before but it looked as if the paint had reacted before. So 2 new wings from BMW were ordered. I also removed the arial from the rear of the car and fitted an m3 arial to the roof instead. Looks wise, I wanted to keep the car as standard as possible and I am more of a less is more type guy. No mtech 2 kit for me – just a front Is lip spoiler! I also as you can see decromed her! 15” bbs were treated to a refurb and the centres resprayed in black. These are now wrapped in new Falken 512 tyres. Smiley headlights were also installed along with new headlight and kidney grills. Various other rubber seals were replaced as well i.e sunroof seal, rear light seals etc etc

I also fitted smoked brown glass from an early 325 which I think looks the bomb!

Now on to the inside. Out came the crappy dirty white headlining and in went black headlining from a sport. Sport map mirror was also installed. The carpet was replaced with one from a touring which has a suede type texture as opposed to the crude ruffle type carpet. An electric sunroof was also retrofitted along with leccy windows. I also installed a13 button OBC as well as mtech 1 steering wheel. Crappy standard seats were replace with a houndstooth recaros with rear head rests.

Now the mechanics!!! First off the rear. Ok – as the 320 has rear drums, I sourced an axle from a 325 which had disks. The old axle was dropped and I put up the 325 axle. In the process I replaced the brake lines, the sub frame bushes and the rear trailing arm bushes. Also I changed the hand brake cables, the wheel bearings, new brake callipers, new brake disks and pads, new hand brake shoes and rear brake dust covers. The brake hoses were replaced with braided ones. Before I put the subframe back up I painted it with black rust proof paint! Rear shocks are now new bilsteins with eibach springs and new top shock mounts. I put in a new 14.5mm arb from a convertible and new drop links as well.
Now the front – out came the 46mm struts and in went 51mm with new inverted bilstiens, eibach springs, new top shock mounts, new callipers, new ate disks, new mintex pads, new wheel bearings, new brake dust covers, braided hoses, 21mm arb, new drop links, 2 new wishbones with m3 offset bushes, new tie rods and a power steering rack!! Phew!!! Oh and a new brake and clutch cylinder!!

So she now sits in my yard awaiting a s14 transplant – albeit I,m not quite sure if it will be a 320is or m3 engine – opinions please???

I know for some people what I did was probably completely overkill with how far I went with things. It wasn’t done on the cheap either – all parts came from my local dealer. In fairness I did get a savage discount and I do look after there I.T.

So I would appreciate your comments and feedback – negative or otherwise and if you have any further advise it would be great!!

Now next step is finding m3 running gear!!!!!!

Edited by Eamo
Sponsored Links

Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2007 at 22:44
Well done eamo, a lot of dedication shown there, she'll be a right cracker when she's finished!
99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2007 at 23:15

You certainly can't be accused of taking shortcuts there Eamo!  Sounds like it is going to be one to tuck away and bring out for high days and holidays?  Maybe not knowing your track record!

The only change I'd make is to the BBS's - given the body colour I'd have gone for the grey'd centres as per the e30 Motorsport convertibles.  Small thing though.

How are you going to deal with getting an s14 in there.  Wasn't the issue with rhd on these something to do with the positioning of the steering rack for rhd or something?  I know Birds did a few rhd conversions but the numbers were small.

Look foward to seeing the finished article!

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2007 at 23:22
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

You certainly can't be accused of taking shortcuts there Eamo!  Sounds like it is going to be one to tuck away and bring out for high days and holidays?  Maybe not knowing your track record!

The only change I'd make is to the BBS's - given the body colour I'd have gone for the grey'd centres as per the e30 Motorsport convertibles.  Small thing though.

How are you going to deal with getting an s14 in there.  Wasn't the issue with rhd on these something to do with the positioning of the steering rack for rhd or something?  I know Birds did a few rhd conversions but the numbers were small.

Look foward to seeing the finished article!

cheers boss!

from the research ive done it seems birds used the oem lhd manifold and reworked it to fir around the steering joint.

i have a 316 lhd manifold that we can mess around with before we tackle the real thing. oh and it will be covered in heat wrap to prevent premature wear on the steering knuckle.

Edited by Eamo
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 00:42
looks great Eamo.
I look forward to seeing it.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 01:01
Well done Eamo, that's fantastic work. That'll be some car when you're done. 
If you're looking for votes, stick in a 320iS engine, just to be different, and to save yourself of later being accused of "just" trying to build a rhd m3.

I think I agree with Dergside on the wheels, as he said, a minor thing.
I also have a query on the bumpers, are you going to partially colour code them, so there's just the stripe of black around the edge, rather than being all black?
I also think that clear front indicator covers with silver bulbs behing might work better than dark ones, providing contrast to the bumper.
And as a final (completely obsessive compulsive minor point) I think pressed metal reg plates look better on e30s rather than plastic plates.

Best of luck finishing it though, I'm looking forward to seeing the final result.

John
Estate_Guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Estate_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 07:48
Excellent looking car. Fair play to ye! Wish I had the skills to do all that. Actually thinking about getting my one resprayed this year but I might not be able to afford it. I already have one car awaiting a respray Anyhow, looking forward to seeing pics of the finished car. Best of luck.
Colm
'93 BMW E30 316 Touring with 117k on the clock!
MorganIRL View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorganIRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 09:14
Eamo, did you buy that car off a guy called Martín in Galway? Was at his house about a year ago and it was parked out the back, its the photos that look familiar! Big transformation since I've seen that car last!! Well done mate!
1990 BMW E30 M3
18" BBS Split Rims Trekmiester Suspension
Full Miltek S/S Exhaust
Carbon Fibre DTM Mirrors (sweeeeet!!!)
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 09:34
Originally posted by MorganIRL MorganIRL wrote:

Eamo, did you buy that car off a guy called Martín in Galway? Was at his house about a year ago and it was parked out the back, its the photos that look familiar! Big transformation since I've seen that car last!! Well done mate!

Morgan

no its a local car - been in the same family for the last 5 years
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 09:35
Originally posted by JohnH JohnH wrote:

Well done Eamo, that's fantastic work. That'll be some car when you're done.  If you're looking for votes, stick in a 320iS engine, just to be different, and to save yourself of later being accused of "just" trying to build a rhd m3.I think I agree with Dergside on the wheels, as he said, a minor thing.I also have a query on the bumpers, are you going to partially colour code them, so there's just the stripe of black around the edge, rather than being all black? I also think that clear front indicator covers with silver bulbs behing might work better than dark ones, providing contrast to the bumper. And as a final (completely obsessive compulsive minor point) I think pressed metal reg plates look better on e30s rather than plastic plates.Best of luck finishing it though, I'm looking forward to seeing the final result.John

John

I think your right about the bumpers. Ill get them color coded methinks
T.J. View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 10:15

I agree on the bumpers being colour-coded. I'd also change the wheel colour. Engine wise I'd probably go toward the 320is lump.

Otherwise, a mint job and a real sleeper. I don't think the photos do it justice, and can't wait to see it in the flesh.

Fair play Eamo!! I'm a bit jealous!

EDIT: I'm erring toward the dark wheel centres you have on it now, as I look at it more.

Edited by T.J.
Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
Dalts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 10:25
A car that good deserves the ultimate number plate styling for a BMW...German style, pressed-metal.

When's the next show and shine? I think I might have something that offers a bit of competition to that beauty
Have you any old autographs or tapes...

Now: E39 523i, Audi A6 Avant Quattro, E30 318i Cab
Then: E36 320i, E34 520i, E30 323i
Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbie Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 10:26
Fairplay Eamo, well done and i'm sure it wasn't cheap. Good to see a car like this brought back to life. Should be some motor when completed, although i do like the 4x4 look at the moment .......only joking!
Dalts View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 10:30
Two more things:

1) Dark Centres
2) Great Avatar...10,9,8,7.....
Have you any old autographs or tapes...

Now: E39 523i, Audi A6 Avant Quattro, E30 318i Cab
Then: E36 320i, E34 520i, E30 323i
ivanovoitch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Where did all the white water come from?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ivanovoitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 11:20

Originally posted by Eamo Eamo wrote:

I also, as you can see, decromed her!

I'm looking to dechrome the window trim on the E34. Was yours metal or plastic trim? Did you replace it or treat it with something? It looks like you got a nice finish.

gstonesE4620i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gstonesE4620i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 14:11

looks great as is but would def colour match bumper. if you are using it on the road the tyers on it are what you want but if its only track and shows that you will have it out i would go for a lower profile tyre.  just somthing to think about.     realy looks well though, enjoy.

what do you mean it was unexpected, you should have expected it!
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 14:28
Originally posted by ivanovoitch ivanovoitch wrote:

I'm looking to dechrome the window trim on the E34. Was yours metal or plastic trim? Did you replace it or treat it with something? It looks like you got a nice finish.

it was metal. used etch primer and black matt paint
ivanovoitch View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Where did all the white water come from?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ivanovoitch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 14:51

Originally posted by ivanovoitch ivanovoitch wrote:

it was metal. used etch primer and black matt paint

Guessed that you were going to say that. Mine are plastic. Can't find anything that looks like it's going to give me a good gloss finish on them.

Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 15:05
i think a few of the others use black tape??
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-January-2007 at 15:22
yes i know someone who did that and it looked very well indeed, i didnt notice until he told me.
99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic