Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat type of Police service????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What type of Police service????
    Posted: 17-November-2005 at 05:34

Police Commissioner Blair, has asked the people of this Country to tell him, what type of Policing you want.

On Radio 5 this morning they were giving some stats on other Countries crime/population ratio,s.

Europe 400 crimes per 100,000

Brazil 900/100,000

USA 4000/100,000

GB----------------11000/100,000.

Hope someone comes up with some workable idea,s pronto.

commissioner@metpolice.uk

SAFETYFAST
Sponsored Links

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 06:02
Bring back corperal punishment? A good flogging would do wonders. This would surely make quite a few 'crims' think twice about being naughty
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
topazman View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 07:14
How about Chain Gangs
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 07:20

I just don't believe those figures. Brazil had dreadful problems with gang warfare and in some parts of the country the gangs are the law.

Mind you if they judge every speeding ticket to be a crime then that might inflate the figures somewhat........

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2005 at 02:07
For crime statistics to mean anything when being compared then you have to be using the same counting rules and countries don't. The easiest ones to compare are homicides etc because they are going to be counted universally very similarly.

In this country the public are encourgaed to report crime far more than in some others, but even our figures underplay the true picture. If we take domestic violence for instance, IIRC the average victim of domestic violence is assaulted 37 times before they make the first report.

Edited by livvy
My views expressed are just that.
Mine & mine alone.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2005 at 03:43

Originally posted by livvy livvy wrote:

For crime statistics to mean anything when being compared then you have to be using the same counting rules

There's Lies

Damn Lies

And Statistics

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2005 at 03:49

I realise people are feeling anti authority at the moment....but....how can we blame the police for crime figures, ( if indeed that is what this thread is trying to do) ?

Society sets the rules by which everyone has to abide.

If society is then so lenient, thats it lets the criminals off with a slap on the wrist ( if even that), why shout at the police ?

I can give some examples, if a group of travellers arrive in an area, and burglaries go up 500%, you the public then expect the police to go and "roll" the travellers etc, see if you can link them to the crime......oh no the police can't, they need evidence first.

Young " thugs", arrest a young person for what is laughingly called anti social behaviour, see how much support you get from parents , only once did I ever have a father turn up and give his errant offspring a good belting, once thats all, most of them would launch into a verbal attack on me, as the arresting officer, for picking on little Johhny, didn't matter that little Johnny was smashing a bus shelter etc etc

This went on through most types of crime, everyone will shout and cry about burglary, they won't help the police by reporting suspicious goings on, they will however buy the stolen goods in pubs and boot sales to save a few bob, therefore encouraging someone to go out and commit burgaly again.

Then we get to "where are the police", well largely the police are engaged in form filling, meeting whatever target has now been set by our elected masters, and being jolly careful they don't infringe some toe rags rights, because if they do....pension gone.

I was even told in court, by a magistrate ( after I'd lifted someone he'd thumped me, so I added assault to the charges against him), that if I chose to wear that uniform I must expect to be assaulted occasionaly.

I could go on, society is so worried about individual rights, they seem to have removed individual responsibilites.

You even have PC's with 20 years service, seen it, done it etc, then they get some snotty nosed graduate as their inspector, 5 years in the job, but he/she is telling you what to attend, what to action etc.

Look to your goverment, not your police force ( laughingly called a service now) for the answers.

Best Wishes

Nigel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2005 at 06:46
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

I could go on, society is so worried about individual rights, they seem to have removed individual responsibilites.

Look to your goverment, not your police force ( laughingly called a service now) for the answers.

I couldn't agree more with this, especially the bit about rights and responsibillity.

I also agree with livvy's point about comparing crime stats. I'd be willing to bet that an awful lot of crime in countries like Brazil never gets reported. I'm sure these statistics were rolled out on the radio by someone who was working to an agenda that didn't involve giving a fair reflection of crime in this country.

B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2005 at 13:37
[QUOTE=Nigel]

Society sets the rules by which everyone has to abide.

If society is then so lenient, thats it lets the criminals off with a slap on the wrist ( if even that), why shout at the police ?

Wish to strongly disagree with these comments !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If ONLY Society Did set the rules and set the Correct punishment, most of the problems could be deleted--Govt.set THEIR own standards which are mostly political and NOT practical.

If the Police force, do not Advise the Politicians(Behind the scenes) of the Known bad results of a particular subject--the police have 160 years experience--then the public will blame the Police experts for becoming another dept of govt.You Know it makes sense

SAFETYFAST
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2005 at 13:53

Society does set the rules.

There are a lot of lentel eating sandal wearing do gooders on the committes that shape these rules.

Why should this be ?

Quite simple really, they believe in something ( no matter how wrong we think they are), they then get off their backsides and do something about it.

The rest of us ?

We largely sit back and say things like isn't that terrible ?, when is someone going to do something about this ? etc

Edited by Nigel
Best Wishes

Nigel

livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2005 at 13:57
It's getting too late.

More & more of those policies are being determined by people you have even less control over, because they are in Brussels & you didn't even have the chance to vote them in. However those *we* did vote in the last few terms have allowed it to happen.

Again people have had the chance to do things about this but are either apathetic about it, or have decided their priorities lay elsewhere.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2005 at 14:34
Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

Wish to strongly disagree with these comments !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If ONLY Society Did set the rules and set the Correct punishment, most of the problems could be deleted--Govt.set THEIR own standards which are mostly political and NOT practical.

If the Police force, do not Advise the Politicians(Behind the scenes) of the Known bad results of a particular subject--the police have 160 years experience--then the public will blame the Police experts for becoming another dept of govt.You Know it makes sense

Society set the rules with the governments they elect.

The Police work within the framework they are given. There is no way that the Police would ask for most of the bureaucratic nonsense they have to go through & it will be imposed on them not because it serves a Police purpose but because it serves a government one.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
omega man View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2005 at 15:01
i think different police forces react to different crimes in the area you live in. in my area colchester essex, the police seem to be overstreched in binge drinkers on fri sat nights, thanks to the council who seem to grant every bar and new drinking establisment a licence to sell as much booze as poss. yet if you report a car getting smashed or some junky shooting up in the town in the middle of the high st, they dont  want to know. the only time the police respond is if you report a man yealding a gun round the streets. in my area i totaly blame the local council who are totaly spineless. i also blame the police for being lazy and wasting public money on unnessery police helicopter jaunts trying to catch kids who nick bikes or looking out for traffic jams. who pays for our air ambulance, WE DO joe public  with donations. why cant the govement pay for this service.. rant over now thanks   
B 7 VP View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2005 at 15:02

Voters----------are given a set party manifesto which sets out a statement of intention of how they will govern the country after pretending to listen to the concerns of the Voter,s and Promise to bring in solutions to many subjects advised by the voters.

Once in power, they forget 50% of said subjects--and make a pigs ear of 49-5% of the rest.

SAFETYFAST
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2005 at 15:57
Originally posted by B 7 VP B 7 VP wrote:

Voters----------are given a set party manifesto which sets out a statement of intention of how they will govern the country after pretending to listen to the concerns of the Voter,s and Promise to bring in solutions to many subjects advised by the voters.

Once in power, they forget 50% of said subjects--and make a pigs ear of 49-5% of the rest.

But we do of course have the power to get them out when they fail to deliver (or even attempt to) on the manifesto, rather than voting them in again & again.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2005 at 19:12
No doubt the question of whether we want an armed Police service or not will be raised again after yesterday's events in Bradford.

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
Robmw View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2005 at 03:47
It was said that "Society set the rules with the governments they elect." This is only true when the elected government does what it said it was elected to do.

It was also said "The Police work within the framework they are given."    The police are responsible for positioning themselves into a position where they are glorified tax collectors. This is not the everyday bobby but the Police Management structure who are responsible.I sympathise with the local bobby.

I for one would be very happy to have the police force like when I was a child where a policeman was someone to be respected and feared.

I strongly suggest that when the Bradford robbers are caught they are given life sentences, but I am sure that a liberal judge will give a far more leniant sentence. Much to everyone's frustration.
Robert Born

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2005 at 04:56

I wondered how long it take for this to descend into John's usual dig at the labour party.

Give it up John, we've heard it so many times before.

Goldryder View Drop Down
Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2005 at 04:57
Having police who can drive safely would be a nice thing to have...

Police-related road deaths rise

An independent watchdog wants debate on policing the roads
There has been a rise in the numbers of people killed in road accidents involving police cars.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission said 44 people died in England and Wales over the past year.

This is an increase of eight on the previous year and more than two-and-a- half times the 17 recorded in 2000/01.

The IPCC also released figures which said 106 people died during or after contact with police in the last year, up 24 from the year before.

'Degree of risk'

IPCC chairman Nick Hardwick said: "We are concerned about the increase in the number of road traffic-related deaths.

"This year there were a larger number of people killed but in a lower number of incidents."

The IPCC wants a debate on the risks police should take on the road.

He added: "There is an issue for public debate here - when you dial 999 you want the police to get there quickly, but there is a degree of risk involved in that.

"We have to have an intelligent debate about what degree of risk is acceptable and in what circumstances."

A 13-year-old girl was the youngest person to die and the oldest was a 90-year-old woman in Lancashire.

Of the 44 deaths, 23 were in police pursuits, six involved police vehicles answering 999 calls and 15 were listed as "other".

The overall 106 deaths total also included three fatal police shootings.

'Deep regret'

Home Office minister Hazel Blears said: "Everything that can be done must be done to minimise accidents involving police vehicles.

"Such incidents are a very grave matter and any increase is particularly worrying."

Association of Chief Police Officers spokesman and deputy chief constable of Leicestershire David Lindley said: "Acpo deeply regrets any death.

"But it should be recognised that as a 24/7 emergency service the police have millions of interactions with the public, often in difficult circumstances.

"The death of individuals following contact with the police is extremely rare."

Edited by Goldryder
livvy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2005 at 05:12
I agree but when we look at the 23 deaths from pursuits (the overwhleming majority in the figures) how many were actually as a result of the Police car hitting the person who died ? The answer is very few, invariably it is the vehicle being chased that crashes & the driver/occupants killed without any Police contact at all. The counting rules though say that if Police were chasing the car it counts as a Police fatal collision. (the same in the counting rules for other Police collisions, their presence makes it a Police collision)

So the question is what do the public want ? Police to pursue criminals in cars or do you want criminals to know that all they have to do to evade capture is fail to stop for Police ?

Edited by livvy
Mine & mine alone.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic